Rewired Subs and Now i Smell Burning

abqsean
10+ year member

Hey folks, first time poster here. I had my box sitting in my garage for the last year but with the nicer weather i decided to put it back in my ride. I have a RF p5002 amp and 2 RF 12" p2 subs. When i put the box back in and connected the leads, i got no audio. The amp indicated it was outputting a signal so i got some new 12 guage wire and rewired the connection to the subs. Before, the signal looked to be bridged (i didn't set it up initially). When i rewired it, i put each speaker on its own channel (L/R).

It worked however i can smell a burning plastic/rubber kind of smell. I don't see any obvious melting or any smoke or anything. I turned down the gain on the amp and was driving for maybe 10 minutes, with the volume relatively low and the amp powered off. I checked the fuses and they were blown. What do you think is causing this? Should i "rebridge" the amp? Is it normal for new speaker wire to stink? Thanks for your help!

what are the voice coil setups of the woofer dual single? somethings wrong you should not smell anything and really should not be popping fuses

well the fuses on the amp being blown has me guessig there is a short in the wiring somewhere and you were smelling the jacket burning..
It's weird to me that the only 2 things changed were replacing the speaker wire from amp to subs, and wiring each sub to a seperate channel instead of them being bridged. Everything else is untouched and i never had any problems before.

If the speaker is 4 ohm an u have the +:+ -:- u are dropping them to two ohms if u bridge them they will drop to 1 ohm most likely the voice coil is what is giving the burned smell take the speaker out an inside the box it should reek an what kind of amp are u using

If the speaker is 4 ohm an u have the +:+ -:- u are dropping them to two ohms if u bridge them they will drop to 1 ohm most likely the voice coil is what is giving the burned smell take the speaker out an inside the box it should reek an what kind of amp are u using
They were bridged before and i never had an issue. I have a 4 channel amp for the 4 front speakers and a Rockford p5002 2 channel amp driving the subs.

he said a p500.2 which is 2ohm stable per channel that's how he said he wired it, so that's not it and 8ohms wouldn't hurt anything at this point without looking at it it's a guessing game

he said a p500.2 which is 2ohm stable per channel that's how he said he wired it, so that's not it and 8ohms wouldn't hurt anything at this point without looking at it it's a guessing game
I don't really know what to do. I haven't replaced the fuses on the amp yet, but i guess i'll try putting it back to bridged and hope my car doesn't start on fire and/or i pass out from poisonous fumes.

okayguy.jpg

Huh ? Well the same Sorta thing has been happening to me except I keep blowing a single 15" iCandy the only thing I could think of was that the amp was to strong but in ure case that can't be the issue like he said its a guessing game from here on .... Are u grounding the amp?

re wire man don't just add new fuses your going to really damage something there a safety not fail proof pull all the wire and look for cut jacketing make sure your subs are right google some diagrams and make sure they match your goal.

re wire man don't just add new fuses your going to really damage something there a safety not fail proof pull all the wire and look for cut jacketing make sure your subs are right google some diagrams and make sure they match your goal.
Honestly, i don't have the skills to pull all the wiring. A shop here in Albuquerque did it at a car dealership's expense, and all the power wiring is under the carpet.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.