Returning after a long absense, and I have a few questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Joey Link
10+ year member

Geez, I haven't been on this forum in years. I just purchased a 2000 4Runner Limited which has/had a 'system' in it, so I figured I'd get back on here and do some research. I really enjoy music, but I wouldn't say I'm any type of audiophile. So, when I bought the 4Runner (3 weeks ago) it had a Kenwood DPX-MP4030 head unit (ugly as hell, will be replaced with a Pioneer Z2 Nav unit when I get the $$), a Rockford Fosgate 301s amp powering the two front speakers/tweeters (unknown make and model, but they sound very good), and a Rockford Fosgate 501s driving the rear sub (which he removed).

Back when I used to frequent this forum, researching a setup for my Suburban, I purchased two 15" RE HC subs and a Hifonics Brutus amp, none of which I ever hooked up. I ended up trading one of the subs, the amp, and $500 cash for a super clean '91 Firebird Formula. I kept the RE HC, thinking eventually I'd get something to install it in. I was going to install it in my 4Runner, but considering I just started a business (very busy) and the fact that I'd have to get a box built and get a new amp (not much $$), I figured it would be quite a while before I had enough to do anything to the 4Runner audio-wise.

I'm not sure if any of you frequent Slickdeals, but it's amazing. Circuit City just marked down a set of two 12" Eclipse subs with a box (model SW6124BXD ) from $399 to $129. I looked at the specs of both the 501s and the sub setup, and from what I could tell it looked like all I'd have to do was attach the two wires coming off the amp to the sub box. I figured even if they really ******, it'd only be $129 and I'd have bass now. The front speakers sound amazing, but were obviously setup to be used with a sub. A confession, I've never owned a vehicle with amps or subs, so I really don't know whether these sound good or bad, but from what I can hear I'd say the accomplish the mission very well. They get loud enough to rattle my rear glass, but sound very 'accurate' and 'tight'.

Does anyone else have experience with this sub/box combo? Can anyone tell me if I got a decent deal on them? What can you tell me about the RF amp(s) and the way the speakers and sub work with them? Basically, I'd like to know as much about my setup as possible so I can plan a path of improvement if I choose to. How much different would that one RE HC 15" sound than the two 12" Eclipses?

Finally, I've been out of the sub game so long I don't really know what or who is king of the mid-range ($200-$700 per sub) market now. Back when I was around, it was RE with the HC and XXX, ID with the IDQ's and the IDMAX, and Adire with the Brahma. I'd love a little update

So, to recap:

Head Unit: Kenwood DPX-MP4030

Subwoofers: Two 12" Eclipse SW6124BXD

Front Amplifier: Rockford Fosgate 301s

Sub Amplifier: Rockford Fosgate 501s

Front Speakers: Unknown (previous owner said he spent $400, they sound great)

Rear Speakers: None/Disconnected

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.