Researched and narrowed it to three, which would you choose?

Which amp to power a 600w rms 12" DVC sub, 2ohm load?

• Total voters
I can run my 2200 in my trunk for multiple hours during long trips and I have yet to even get it near warm and I live in louisiana. Plus it's just so d amn sexy
I think this is another thing to take into consideration. i have not used, nor even seen an mbq amp to touch it and see how it runs, but my AQ1200D doesnt even get warm let alone hot... i have a rockford punch amp, thing could cook eggs on

the aq is also under a crew cab seat in which the seat is touching the whole top of the amp, and its flat on the floor under the seat, and there is a hump in the front of the amp, which means the only way it can even vent is through the back, which is just the width of the amp, and it still doesnt get warm

Actually, heat is why I started this thread.

My MRP-M1000 gets so hot that it will literally burn your hand if touched. Obviously this is a huge problem cause it'll go into protection mode or just shut down quite easily. This is primarily due to lack of flowing air and ability for heat dissipation in my trunk (as there are plenty of others who've not got this problem in the slightest). Regardless, it's really f-ing annoying.

Didn't really mention it from the get go as b/c I didn't want this thread to spiral into focusing on the Alpine, but rather finding a suitable replacement. I'm sure if I added a cooling fan or piped some air into the trunk it wouldn't shut down. Maybe. Or maybe not. But that's just a band-aid for the larger issue at hand.

Last night I went back and re-read everything I could find here. Then hit a few other audio forums, some of which I'd been to and others that were new. Overwhelmingly, the AQ was positively suggested and recommended. And I'd venture to say at a rate 10x that of the MBQ (sorry Bobb).

That said, looks like I've found my amp. Many thanks to everyone for their comments and thoughts. When I get my hands on it, I'll be sure to post up a review of sorts.

Actually, heat is why I started this thread.
My MRP-M1000 gets so hot that it will literally burn your hand if touched. Obviously this is a huge problem cause it'll go into protection mode or just shut down quite easily. This is primarily due to lack of flowing air and ability for heat dissipation in my trunk (as there are plenty of others who've not got this problem in the slightest). Regardless, it's really f-ing annoying.
Turn the gain down a touch son

I think you would be happy with either, but you deff wont be disappointed with the AQ.
And i still believe DSC>ONX
I was pretty certain what I wanted before I started this thread, but wanted to hear some discussion about the three. I believe I won't be either.

As for the MBQ stuff, I'll take your word for it as I've never run either. Wouldn't be right to hold too much of an opinion over what I've read on the interwebs.

Out of curiosity, just came back to check the poll and the Hifonics has surpassed the MBQ. Funny.

Regardless that I've made a decision, will hope that ppl continue to vote as they see this thread. Wonder if the numbers will change over time.

With the help of some excellent instructions from DJ @ AQ, I hooked up the 1200D and got it dialed. Subsequently, my old Alpine was so embarrassed that it ran and hid under the couch.

This amp is stellar and my RE sounds fantastic. Very, very pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
im not saying u would notice a difference, u really woudlnt unless the mbq clipps at higher power
another thing imo u have to question is this. if the mbq does more power than sundown and aq, costs less, why isnt mbq doing better than sundown? why isnt mbq the forum boner and nut hugged company?

the fact its cheaper and does MORE power, makes me question the quality of the power. i have no proof, im not claiming its clipped or dirty power, but it just makes me think/wonder/question.
this is becaues when you get to a certain level of car audio(ie joining a caraudio web site)you tend to wana run non mainstream brands for some reason,people on this site talk **** about Rockford fosgategate like they dont build quality amps,i had the mb quart dsc 2000 and a aq 2200 liked my dsc better and it was cheaper and better on my electrical not to say the aq wasn't just as good but i paid alot more for my 2200,and the dsc amps were nuthuged on this site for a while anytime a 4125 dsc 2000 or 1500 shows up in the classifieds it they sell quick,to me it comes down to you want 1500 to 1700 rms or do you want maybe 1300 rms at a higher price

With the help of some excellent instructions from DJ @ AQ, I hooked up the 1200D and got it dialed. Subsequently, my old Alpine was so embarrassed that it ran and hid under the couch.
This amp is stellar and my RE sounds fantastic. Very, very pleased.
DJ? Sure you didn't talk mike lol.

Glad the amp worked out for you though. It will treat you well.

LOL, did I mess that one up? Just assumed it was DJ as he didn't sign his email back to me with another name. Either way, great step-by-step stuff.

And so am I. Guess a good way to describe how it's treating me... the initial test immediately put a massive s&it eating grin on my face when I popped a Jeezy disk in. Good lord son! And I know I'm not running anything complex or really loud compared to most ppl on this board... but I know a quality (clean + deep) setup when I hear it. And this is certainly akin to that.

Did a little fine tuning yesterday and I think I've got it dialed proper for my taste (low notes at low volumes). The Alpine was able to do this... but not for too long as it heated up crazy fast. It was actually around 75deg yesterday so this was a perfect opportunity to compare the AQ's heat level to the Alpine.

I did some errands for a few hours and ran my stereo as I normally would. Got out and checked the temp of the 1200D and started laughing in the parking lot. Was scarcely even warm. Must have baffled the older fella that was walking to his car.

There is a bit of bad news thou. This amp has awakened some rattles from the trunk lid I've not ever heard. Audi is nice enough to dampen the hell out of their trunks with all the thick pieces but it's not cutting it now. ;-) Might have to throw a little Second Skin on there.

gotta love AQ amps. i havent tried their subs but ive seen a pair burp 152 np

that was one thing i liked about my amp, it doesnt even get hot. i have class a/b 400 watt fosgate amp, can fry eggs on. ya its power it clean and its reliable, but its frigin hot even on a cold day

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...