Replacing Wire Insulation.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Spaceboy464
10+ year member

Long story short: I have a few wires from my factory radio harness that are missing their insulation. My plan was to pull each of the pins out of the factory connector and slide on some heat shrink tubing. I spent the whole day on one pin as they are a pain to get out. Is there an easier way to replace the insulation on these wires? I was thinking I could cut out the section and replace it with some spare wire.

Any help is appreciated as I need to finish this by Sunday night. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif Thanks!

if you can get in there to solder new sections of wire, that'd be easier. provided i understand what you're doing. If it were me, i'd just use electical tape. For the PITA it sounds like, i'd run out of paitience

you could do that electrical tape also works just as well i mean i did simmilar thing with my hu i made a bracket that came to the back of the hu to all the way up on top of my dash in the back behind the radio so they deff. have a harder time taking it if they ever did. but as far as those pins man i would not try and pull those there not the easiest to get back in and over time they begin to fall out if not put back in properly . but i would say the heat shrink tube is a good idea but man just use the right connectors sodder some nice new wire and tie rap it nicely up proffesionally job done yourself:D.

Thanks guys. I ended up getting an unused harness from my friend and used the wires off that to replaced the bad ones (solder + heat shrink). I thought this was causing a ground loop problem, but after all that it wasn't. Ugh!

Np man . did you make sure none of your wires are grounded to something there not supposed to . go through and check all of your wiring.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.