Replacing conductors in a crossover system

Participant count
  • Participant list

DRBOOM

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Hey there,

I recently bought a set of DLS Iridium 8.3's from a mate. I checked the speakers with multimeter and with actual music as well. All sounded good but when hooked up with the three way crossover, the speakers did not work. I have opened up the crossover only to find a bit of rust on the inductor. Just checking if anyone here had repaired one or how did they go about getting the issue rectified to restore normal operation of the crossover/ speaker components.

Also there is no reading of the value on the inductor so it makes it hard to buy replacement . Any ideas guys??

Not the one I got mate, its the older model and the DLS crossover states , three way crossover. The tweeter and the midrange works but the large inductor for the woofer has some corrosion on it. I may have to take it out of the mother board and clean it up and will try to get a reading with a multimeter before I solder it back on the board. Worst case scenario, I may have to replace the light corroded inductor. The other caps and inductors look brand new. Sorry I did not mention the crossover works partially, and the tweets and mids work fine with the crossover, its only the woofer section of the crossover that is not generating sound to the woofer and the woofer works well with music signal.

ok,. I have rectified the issue, it was'nt the inductor. There was a tab missing that set the frequency on the woofer and once I made contact with the two pins, the speaker started to work. So with a bit of solder, as the pins at tiny 2mm apart, the solder provided the contact and hopefully serve the purpose with the rest of the system.

In my opinion, crossovers only fail due to water damage which stops current conductivity and this could be the result of the crossovers placed inside the door cavity. Thanks guys!

Here's the pic of the crossover and missing pin in the woofer crossover

Attachments

• IMG20220120094630.jpg
    IMG20220120094630.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG20220120094832.jpg
    IMG20220120094832.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG20220120094036.jpg
    IMG20220120094036.jpg
    689.8 KB · Views: 26
Activity