Replace Sundown SA12 with which smaller sub?

eddie_93
10+ year member

Colorado
I'm currently running an SA12 in roughly 3 ft^3 on a Kicker zx750.1 and am looking to downsize to an 8" or 10".

Budget would probably be about $150 or so. Basically selling this system and using that money to fund the new one. May or may not keep the Kicker 750.1 which does 750 @ 2 ohms or 375 @ 4 ohms.. Would like a subwoofer that does well in a small ported enclosure. An 8" would be preferable.

So far, looking at:

Dayton HO 8" or 10"

Sundown SA8V2 or E8V3

American Bass VFL8

Massive Hippo 85 8"

Anyone have recommendations? Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the sq208. Get it in d2, and you can run the same amp at a 4ohm load.
I haven't seen those. Looks like a pretty beastly sub. You don't think it could handle my 750.1 @ 2 ohms if I went easy on it?

Why don't you just seal your 12. Headroom is one of the best things for sound quality. Sound quality don't mean smaller subs. Or less power.
Do these SA12's do well in sealed boxes? I really just wanted to run an 8" ported to change it up and save space.

Yeah I would just go buy a sheet of wood and build a small sealed enclosure for the SA12 and see if you like that before going all new imo.
It's not that I'm unhappy with the SA12 at all, the box I have for it sounds awesome. I really just want to see what I can do with an 8.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.