Remote start on a 1985 Chevy Monte Carlo

TurdFergueson2
5,000+ posts

Team D.O.A.
Chicago
I plan on getting this car tomorrow. I was told it already has an alarm installed, but I'm sure I will want better. I would more than likely go with a Viper 5900 or an Autopage RS-1000. My question is could you do remote start on a car that old? And if anyone has, how well does it work?

I just got a PM from THUNDERBIRD saying it might not work on a carbuerated car. I really really got used to the one in my car now so I hope it can.

it will wor if the car starts easily like said above, if you gotta pump the gas before you starts it or pump it while cranking it wont work. If you can just turn the key and it fires then you will be fine

Well I ended up getting it. It already has some gas cutoff alarm already installed. I know that won't be good enough for the ghetto. It's cold here, so I don't know if the car will always start right up cold. First time I fired it up, it was iffy.....had to pump the gas. After that it fired right up every time.

I was also reading that some guy wired up something under the hood that somehow mimics pumping the gas.

why not go with a Scytek alarm? just as good and cheaper
Really at this point, I just need some decent form of security. I'll price these alarms. I had ok success with Autopage alarms as well. Only thing I didn't like was the siren wasn't loud enough.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.