Remote Power Sensing - Voltage?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SDSheepdog

I am installing a portable MP3 Player (10gb hard drive model) in my car.

I'm going to use an RF modulator to run it through my stereo, and keep the MP3 Player in the glove compartment.... just use its remote control to play songs.

The problem is that the RF modulator has a remote power sensing wire to turn it off & on... but the MP3 player obviously doesn't have an input for that.

I'm thinking of splicing that remote sensing wire into the audio cable that will go from the MP3 Player to the RF modulator. The idea being that when I turn on the mp3 player, the RF modulator will sense the audio signal and turn on.

My question is this..... Will the audio signal going thru that wire be enough to trigger the RF modulator???

Also, I'm going to get a cigarette lighter adapter to power the MP3 player, but I'd rather just cut off the lighter part and wire it directly to the fuse box so nothing shows. What is the best way to wire a device directly to power? (The fuse box is hard to get to, and mounted on the left side of the dash - not underneath.)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Originally posted by SDSheepdog I am installing a portable MP3 Player (10gb hard drive model) in my car.

I'm going to use an RF modulator to run it through my stereo, and keep the MP3 Player in the glove compartment.... just use its remote control to play songs.

The problem is that the RF modulator has a remote power sensing wire to turn it off & on... but the MP3 player obviously doesn't have an input for that.

I take it your using the stock factory radio?

I'm thinking of splicing that remote sensing wire into the audio cable that will go from the MP3 Player to the RF modulator. The idea being that when I turn on the mp3 player, the RF modulator will sense the audio signal and turn on.

I dont think it will work that way

My question is this..... Will the audio signal going thru that wire be enough to trigger the RF modulator???

Nope the remote sense I am pretty sure is triggered off of 12volts

Also, I'm going to get a cigarette lighter adapter to power the MP3 player, but I'd rather just cut off the lighter part and wire it directly to the fuse box so nothing shows. What is the best way to wire a device directly to power? (The fuse box is hard to get to, and mounted on the left side of the dash - not underneath.)

I doubt the mp3 player takes much current. The cig lighter can power than easily. Other than that just the wire directly to the battery thru the firewall

Thanks in advance for any help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.