Remote BASS control for subs

some amps have a remote gain built in, Audio Control's Epicenter is a bass maximizer, some head units have variable output like alpine's bass engine, bass engine plus and bass engine pro.

so if my HU or ampdoesnt have the remote bass option, is it possible to hook it up? I want this due to the fact that i listen to many flavors of music, and when i listen to rock/alternative im not not gonna want the bass as high as when i listen to rap or other pounding music.

LuRp

I feel the exact same way you do LuRp...I ordered an Alpine HU basically because it had this Bass Engine and some other Bass control type deal...when you play rap then you really wanna bump them but sometimes i might not want much bass at all, on my friends car hes got a switch...if the switch is off then his music just runs through his stock speakers, if he switches it on then the subs come on...how do you do that? later, Nick

The Rockford Fosgate Punch amps come with a Bass Knob good for 18 dB adjustability at 45 Hz. Wires up with standard telephone wire I think (RJ-11 connectors). You can also get an inline volume control that goes between the HU and amp. I bought one made by PAC (friggin $30 from Tweeter - ouch"). Haven't finished the install yet so I can't report on it.

cool... ok... i wasnt sure what that telephone line was doing in the box.. lol bumb, what u want is just a sub switch which is probably an option that came with your HU... i have that now in my HU, but what i was looking for was some type of variable potentiomiter if you will..... aparently its the telephone line... k thx for ur input guys...

LuRp

****.. i always forget to sign in at work .. :p

LuRp

P.S. why is it that i can say **** but not d@mn... hehe

I have my sub running off a Fosgate 250x2 amp which has the remote bass. It is worth it I feel. Like you said with varying types of music it makes adjusting the bass much easier. I never have a problem with it either. Only problem is the remote itself is pretty big (2"x2"x3"). Otherwise the remote wire is just a simple phone wire.

Do Not run a wire from the battery to a switch then to your amps remote hook up. That would put 12 volts strait to your amp and toast it like you were eating it with your eggs. Use the remote line out of the back of the HU that you were running straight to the amp, put the switch in between the HU and the amp, and there you have it. I had mine like that forever. If you put a switch in your power wire to your amp, you will also take the chance of popping your amp. you will slam it with power which it is not designed to take. It is designed to be powered on before it receives an audio signal, that is what the remote wire is for, soft turn on. Good Luck

Originally posted by mrmagoo_83 Do Not run a wire from the battery to a switch then to your amps remote hook up. That would put 12 volts strait to your amp and toast it like you were eating it with your eggs. It is designed to be powered on before it receives an audio signal, that is what the remote wire is for, soft turn on. Good Luck
That is absolute ********.

i have the remote from my headunit hooked up to my fosgate amp, then my alpine amp remote hooked up to my fosgate amp, and my cooling fan power wire hooked up to the remote on my alpine amp. no problems here whatsoever. im not going to say im gonna recommend this, but i'm just letting you know, if thats the only way for you to go, you're not the only one doing it :p

arrg.. ok... so lemme get this strait.. I should hoo kthe remote wire up to the variable switch? the what do i do with the telephone wire? 1 end is in the amp the other goes where? thx

LuRp

im glad sumone agrees with me about running a switch off the battery, i know it may not be the best way but i also know it will not toast the amp and will work, i did that a number of times when i first starting doing car stereos.

john

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.