Is there a diff if a dual 10" box is divided or 1 large box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

LuRp
10+ year member

NY
you see.. i have the option of buying a 3/4" MDF dual 10" box sealed for $50. But its has no divider. If i get the dual 10" box divided it will cost me roughly 30-40 bucks more... is it worth it? I am also contemplateing to build it myself.. but im worried about carpeting it... seems like its a pain in the ass...

LuRp

common i think this is a fairly simple question to answer... someone throw me line plz

LuRp

Really, the divider wont make that much of a difference except for bracing, which the MDF doesn't need. If you are wiring the subs bridged to the amp, get the single chamber box. If the left sub is going to be wired to the left channel, and the right sub to the right channel, then you need to get the dual chamber box because the different signals will cancel eachother out. Don't worry, I've had the same problem before. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Hey I've had both, with the same speakers might I add. There isn't really a noticeable difference. The box with one chamber, was a little bit louder, but the sq was the same, it sounded very good. The reason I believe I had a little more spl with one chamber was because the enclosure was a little bigger overall. I also ran the subs off seperate channels, and I had no cancelling out. It's pretty much up to you, I say there is no difference. But that is just my opinion. As long as you have sufficient airspace for both speakers, there shouldn't be a problem. The only advantage I see that a divided box has is that if one speaker blows, you can still play the other and not have it sound like crap because of too much space.

thanks guys.. great.. i feel alot better now.... Im glad i get to save 50 bucks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I was thinking about building one.. but i think im gonna buy the 50 dollar box and then take my time building a real good box.... i think it will be fun.. anyhgow thx again.

LuRp.

In a lot of cases, i go with a divider, it gives me more expandablity.

If you go ahead and build your own, build it to Theil Small...you can ask around and people will tell you how to do it.

I always build my own box

I've used a few that were open chambered, I didnt like echo, and the subs fighting with eachother. The bottom line is, if you have 2 subs in a single chamberwhen they hit (if its well sealed) wil struggle a lot more to push out, because they are pulilng at the same air, creating a vacumm. So if they arent powered the same, ones gonna pull back while the other does what it feels. So it takes more power in a single enclousure, and sound can suffer if one little varialbe goes off.

I alwasy say, before you drop money in a prefab box, build your own and test things, dont worry about carpeting it and such. And put it away till you need it again

hey do oyu know of any good sites dealing with building an enclosure? .. i know the basic requirements, but it would still be nice to have a refrence.. Thx

LuRp

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.