Red Top okay for a 300/1 and 500/1?

tracyrick
10+ year member

Limited035
I'm running a JL 300/1 for my fronts and a 500/1 for my sub. So I guess that means 800 watts max. total?

I keep the volume at about 50% and the car is always running when I run my system. Car is an '07 Impreza STI with stock alternator. I've done the BIG 3 and use 4 guage wiring throughout. Any guesses on if a RedTop will stay healthy with this setup?

Yeah, I've seen the debate about RedTop vs. YellowTop. For me, the RedTop was way cheaper at Amazon. Also, the CCA was higher and I wanted that for my low Colorado temperatures.

I'm running a JL 300/1 for my fronts and a 500/1 for my sub. So I guess that means 800 watts max. total?
I keep the volume at about 50% and the car is always running when I run my system. Car is an '07 Impreza STI with stock alternator. I've done the BIG 3 and use 4 guage wiring throughout. Any guesses on if a RedTop will stay healthy with this setup?

Yeah, I've seen the debate about RedTop vs. YellowTop. For me, the RedTop was way cheaper at Amazon. Also, the CCA was higher and I wanted that for my low Colorado temperatures.
That should be fine with a Redtop. Just make sure you never tell them you had a stereo in the car when/if it goes bad. It voids the warranty of the battery. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Does 800W in total amp power mean I am always drawing 800W with both amps on? Or is that just maximimum if I had the volume turned up to 100%? If I keep my volume at 50% (17/35 on my Alpine HU) does that mean I'm only pulling 400W?

Got this answer back from Optima:

"800W = 67 amps. Even when your car is running, your audio system is probably consuming more than the alternator puts out - especially at idle. This is why we recommend a YellowTop."

I am running close to 3000 watts with a red top, big 3, and stock alternator. I also have a crap ton of other accessories. Although, the stock alternator on my truck is probably beefier than the one in your car, you should be just fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.