Recommendations on subs

Slammedfocus14

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2104 focus se hatchback with the stock Sony system,I want to upgrade to maybe 2 12's or 15's? I've been looking at scar audio and the kicker solos (but open to ideas/suggestions) these will be in a sealed box but just on the fence on what to do, I want bass but also want a clear crisp sound for rock..so any ideas or suggestions or questions are greatly appreciated.

Do you have a budget

I don't wanna break the bank but if I had to put a price on everything probably around $700-$1000 to get started...I'm not wanting to change out my HU or mids or tweets right now but eventually..just kinda getting started right now..and always open to suggestions and ideas

Kickers are neither crisp nor clear and Skars have questionable build quality and reputation.
I've heard that once before about Skar so that's probably gonna be a no go..I've looked at JL ,sundown and DD..I'm wanting good quality sound with bass as well as rock..I've been out of "system world" for over 15 years..back in the day I had 4 12 MA audio 12xe's and the 1800 watt HK401SX mono bkaock amp in a 94 civic..so it's been a minute

Sundown, DD, Resilient Sounds, SSA all good choices.

The big names from back in your day are snakes n sparklers, this is where the good stuff is:

tenor.gif

Those focus hatchbacks are like giant sub boxes when done right. The throw off the back hatch is solid. Two twelves or fifteens in the budget you’ve set will immediately drown out your factory front stage but in order to really get good sound out of whatever substage you buy you’re going to first have to achieve a deequalized clean signal. While An aftermarket headunit would be the best choice, a competent dsp would be next best thing. After that get some subs that will move on an amount of power that you’re electrical can sustain. That focus has a 150 amp alternator so probably can take 1200-1500 watts without too much stream but you might want to leave some room for a four channel when the bass drowns out your factory front stage.

-helix h8 dsp or jlfix86 dsp (new hu would be cheaper and easier but your call) $400
-taramps md1800 - $190
-2 ab tnt’s (10’s ported or 12’s sealed for box ease, both scenarios allow you to keep some cargo space.

Those focus hatchbacks are like giant sub boxes when done right. The throw off the back hatch is solid. Two twelves or fifteens in the budget you’ve set will immediately drown out your factory front stage but in order to really get good sound out of whatever substage you buy you’re going to first have to achieve a deequalized clean signal. While An aftermarket headunit would be the best choice, a competent dsp would be next best thing. After that get some subs that will move on an amount of power that you’re electrical can sustain. That focus has a 150 amp alternator so probably can take 1200-1500 watts without too much stream but you might want to leave some room for a four channel when the bass drowns out your factory front stage.

-helix h8 dsp or jlfix86 dsp (new hu would be cheaper and easier but your call) $400
-taramps md1800 - $190
-2 ab tnt’s (10’s ported or 12’s sealed for box ease, both scenarios allow you to keep some cargo space.
Thanks for the advice,never considered the fact of possibly drowning out my factory speakers,so unless I want to upgrade HU mids and tweets I need to scale the subs and amp back to middle of the road and possibly consider 10's? I know doing that won't give me the sound I'm looking for, but dont have the budget right now for a complete system uograde..guess I have decisions to make..thanks for the advice it's greatly appreciated..and as always I'm open for more recommendations.

Thanks for the advice,never considered the fact of possibly drowning out my factory speakers,so unless I want to upgrade HU mids and tweets I need to scale the subs and amp back to middle of the road and possibly consider 10's? I know doing that won't give me the sound I'm looking for, but dont have the budget right now for a complete system uograde..guess I have decisions to make..thanks for the advice it's greatly appreciated..and as always I'm open for more recommendations.
It’s a trap, factory audio integration and getting a clear signal is the first priority, not cheap, and not all glam like subs and amps

Sony system is a PITA when upgrading. You will need to de-EQ the factory system. I used the Rockford DSR1 in mine since it was a super simple plug and play setup. You have 4 cubes net to work with while keeping the spare tire. Remove the spare and you can squeeze around 6. My Sundown X-15 in 4.25 net was very tight fit.

Wouldn't recommend skar, kicker. I was thinking about going with a sealed box and a Dayton HO 18 for a while.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.