recommend me some speakers!

Participant count
  • Participant list

twich12
10+ year member

just looking for some drop in replacements and i dont really have a budget since i have no idea what my budget should be... im big on sound quality, i just want some drop in replacements for my 02 pontiac grand prix se.... anyone? not sure how much an individual speaker should cost, im looking for something best bang/buck which also has good quality

Pioneer TS-D1720C component speakers. That's my recommendation. I run them and I'm more than happy with them. They have incredible midbass and they will take all their rated power and then some. The tweeters are also pretty smooth. Caraudiomag also rated these in the top 10 speakers of the last decade (no. 6 IIRC). They can be had for about $120 which isn't bad at all.

let me also add that i have a pair of 12" subs in my trunk.... i am definitely putting those on my list but what about my rear speakers? the ones above the trunk

edit: in case people arent sure i have 1 speaker in each front door, 2 small ones above right near the rear views and 2 in the back above the trunk (this is all stock, i also have a pair of 300w 12" subs)

Instead of dropping money into the rears, I'd suggest deadening the front doors instead, you get a lot of improvement from that. I wouldn't use rears without time delay or 5.1 surround, complicates your soundstage, and sounds un-natural.

^^^This. I don't run rear speakers in either of my vehicles. Forget about them completely. They mess with the staging, like hispls said, unless you have proper TA or surround sound.

Instead of dropping money into the rears, I'd suggest deadening the front doors instead, you get a lot of improvement from that. I wouldn't use rears without time delay or 5.1 surround, complicates your soundstage, and sounds un-natural.
just looked up deadening.... great now i have another large project to do on my car! plan on doing the trunk and doors for now (i dont get any rattle but a bit of vibration, which is normal but apparently sound deadening is required if you want a system:))

just looked up deadening.... great now i have another large project to do on my car! plan on doing the trunk and doors for now (i dont get any rattle but a bit of vibration, which is normal but apparently sound deadening is required if you want a system:))
There's a HUGE thread over at DIYMA with methods and materials people have used in doors to seal them up and deaden. GO over there and poke around to get an idea of what you're trying to accomplish and what works for others.

There's a HUGE thread over at DIYMA with methods and materials people have used in doors to seal them up and deaden. GO over there and poke around to get an idea of what you're trying to accomplish and what works for others.
thanks hispls! you have been great, im almost done my new sub boxes and they are coming out quite nice! i ended up using russian birch glued and screwed together, today i will be finishing one up. all i need is some rug for the outside of the boxes, the next big project after these sub boxes is going to be deadening the trunk, then moving up the floor boards and out to the doors! and while im doing the front doors i will most likely get some new speakers+tweeters for them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.