Rebuilding a 4th order blow through. 09 Chevy Silverado, HDS312s, Taramps 8k (log)

germanyt
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Some of you probably saw my thread and videos of this build from last year.

Here

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/619327-4-sq-hds312s-4th-order-blow-through.html

Since this was finished we've swapped the Pipe for a Taramps 8k and it's beating this box to death. Even with the 2x4 internal brace the top and bottom of the box flex like crazy. It's about as bad as the windshield. I never was truly happy with my design to begin with because it didn't offer any simple access to the subs should something break. So we're going to rebuild out of oak ply this time and change up the orientation a bit. I need y'alls help though.

Current specs are about here.

4.7 net sealed

11 ish net ported

49hz w/ 224 sq in port

I was thinking of dropping the sealed section down to 4 since we have plenty of power on tap and staying at the 10-12 ported for a 2.5-3:1 ratio. I don't want to lose bandwidth but I also don't want to lose output. I'm thinking that the flex of the box is causing the 'muddy' sound we hear in it now. It's almost like the vibration of the wood against the bed is introducing undesirable sound into the box and coming into the cab. It may just be how the HDS3 is but I've never loved the sound. I want to keep the 20-50 range without a ton of rolloff and I'd like to see some hair tricks if that's possible so any tuning recommendations will be considered.

The new design puts the sealed section on the top of the box with the motors hanging down into the ported section and there will be a rubber bed mat under the box this time. I'm leaning toward a wide octoport or maybe just a rectangle like it is now. Not sure yet. The tools I have now compared to last time is going to make a huge difference in build quality so I'm looking forward to it. Completing the design this weekend and picking up materials next week. I'll post pics and vids as I go.

Added 40ft of JY 1/0 wire a few days ago. It's a bit cluttered but all connections are solid and hanging in the 13.5 - 14 range on music. Test tones drop it into the 12s but still safe. It was hitting 10.8 before this.

Stock alt + 240 amp and 3 Optima Yellow Tops.

Its technically the right section... Considering he is asking about enclosure design and construction.
Technically. But it's gonna take a couple weeks to build and I'm updating with pics as I go so it's more of a log.

Technically. But it's gonna take a couple weeks to build and I'm updating with pics as I go so it's more of a log.
Wow. I am having a super slow day. I didn't know you were the thread starter that commented. My fault. Please disregard my remark.

smaller sealed, reduced port area lower tuning bigger ratio. The subs should have a much lower FS after being broken in for a while. I've noticed with a lot of port area these subs become fart subs.

smaller sealed, reduced port area lower tuning bigger ratio. The subs should have a much lower FS after being broken in for a while. I've noticed with a lot of port area these subs become fart subs.
So 4 sealed, 12 ported, 150 sq inch port area, 45 hz? ish?

Did you ever test the seal resonance. What frequency was is muddy? Could it have been port noise? It could also be bad group delay bandpass boxes are tough to get a decent group delay.

Did you ever test the seal resonance. What frequency was is muddy? Could it have been port noise? It could also be bad group delay bandpass boxes are tough to get a decent group delay.

I did not test the resonance. Hard to say what frequencies but it just sounds crisp and clean at 45 or so and lacks response over 50 and below 40. Don't quote me on that. I don't listen to it every day because it's not my truck but somewhere in there from what I recall on my Bass Mechanik tone cd. Its very possible that what I'm hearing is just noise from the vibration of the enclosure. It could also be the delay which I may not be able to do anything about.

Came up with a sketch and measurements. Outer dimensions of 19 Tall, 42.5 Long, 48 Wide. 12 cubes ported after subs, port, and bracing. 4 cubes sealed in 4 1 cube chambers. 180 sq inches of port 8.8 inches long for 45 hz.

Id go with even less port area. Those subs arent high xmax subs. The bandwidth should be worth the slight output trade off
So drop down to 144 sq in or you think that's getting too small? Still go with 4 sealed 12 ported @ 45 hz? I'd really like to maximize air movement.

So drop down to 144 sq in or you think that's getting too small? Still go with 4 sealed 12 ported @ 45 hz? I'd really like to maximize air movement.
General rule is half the total cone area for port area. Id start with that and shrink it down from there. 144 is roughly 1/4 cone area.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Well now I don't know what to do. I was thinking of going with 15 sq in per cube which is 180. Half the cone area is roughly 220. 144 is 12 sq in per cube which is still in the general rule of thumb for a ported enclosure. But these subs aren't super high excursion so too large a port might drop my port velocity to the point where I get no air movement. Or does that even make a difference?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.