reasons amp could b getting hot

Participant count
  • Participant list

dray67

Yuma,AZ
I recently bought rf t1500 and wired two 4ohm kicker l7 down to 1 ohm and my amp cuts out within 5 minutes, its 1ohm stable so what else can cause this to be getting hot and shutting off?? Any input will be appreciated, because I can't get anyone to figure this out

^ what he said. Also bust out the multi-meter, check voltages then bust out the oscope if needed and set your gains clip free. Also make sure your head unit isnt sending clipped signals to the amp.

I did, it seems solid, could it b something else
My guess is the amp shutting off has to do with the ground and a quick check by DMM will tell you that. I've seen too many people pick what they thought were good grounds and in fact were total crap grounds when checked by DMM. Otherwise, it could actually BE the amp that's playing the problem, it could be your settings (maybe you're asking the amp to put out more than it's capable of doing), hell, it could be because the stars aligned and Lucifer's unholy gaze fell on your amp...

Seriously, though, we need more info. What do you have for electrical, cooling, other system components, etc. I know Yuma well and, unless they just got the cold spell we had today, it could very well be because everything around you is god-awfully hot, too.

Could you provide us a picture of this amp and how it's mounted? If the amp is mounted so that no air can travel beneath it, they tend to heat up very quickly. I had my JL amp directly on the surface it was attached to and noticed it was scorching hot, and so I raised it up off the surface and now it plays cold to the touch at full tilt.

I ran 4 gauge wire from alt. To battery, then I ran extra battery in trunk, 0 gauge for battery, 2 gauge for ground
This should be your first red flag. Why are you using so many different gauges of wire in one vehicle? Also, if you can't have them both the same, the ground should always be a higher gauge than the power. Ins vs outs, my friend.

Imounted it on back of seat and I ride with seat down
Add some pieces of wood or something under each screw mounting hole to lift it off the back of the seat at least 1cm to allow air to travel. It will make a huge difference in how hot the amp is getting.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.