Rear speakers / coaxials

Participant count
  • Participant list

mykeys
10+ year member

URABUS
Just a thought and a question. How many people here use rear fill for the sake of family and passengers? It has been a while since I have had a trunk and the last time I blew up my rear fill by hyperextending them via sub. So my real question is this is this more common with stock speakers or what have you done to keep it from happening?

Mike

if you have speakers in the rear deck and a sub in the trunk, you will distort and likely damage the rears. putting them in enclosures is a way to prevent that. rear door speakers don't suffer from the pressure of a trunk sub, so they are safe, and in better locations for rear passengers. one speaker blaring behind your head isn't very enjoyable.

true "rear fill" is intended to simulate the room acoustics of a larger space - which is why it's delayed and filtered. full range speakers in the rear is not "rear fill".

there is nothing wrong with wanting to be surrounded by speakers in a car - for some it's part of the experience. granted, more speakers means more time arrivals which typically results in reduced sound quality. and if the rear speakers are of lesser quality, they can only hurt overall performance.

but rear passengers like to have some music, and kids do not need bass. when kids are in the back seat you should be turning your sub(s) off or very low. turning on rear speakers can be as simple as adjusting a fader, or flipping a switch if they are controlled with relays.

i recommend installing rear speakers in the rear doors for your rear passengers, and having the ability to turn them off. if in the rear deck, get an enclosure around them (difficult with some torsion bars).

true "rear fill" is intended to simulate the room acoustics of a larger space - which is why it's delayed and filtered. full range speakers in the rear is not "rear fill".
Finally, someone else here who gets it. You and I just became friends.

Thank you gentlemen. I don't have a lot of options with this car Wife wants front and rear speakers with tweeters for kids and passengers. The sub is more my thing. I just can't put a simple radio in anything and be happy anymore.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.