rear fill?

I guess none of you ever went to a Pink Floyd concert. Or listened to quadraphonic systems. Or really got intimate with truly great headphones and their soundstage capabilities.

I guess none of you ever went to a Pink Floyd concert. Or listened to quadraphonic systems. Or really got intimate with truly great headphones and their soundstage capabilities.
I think most people who make that comment about not having the band behind u at a concert forget about reflections from the back wall and the fact that rear fill can and should be used to simulate this and can make the space seem much larger as well as add depth to your front stage at times.

Funny thing is he's in a car and not at a concert, so he can have sound coming from where ever he chooses.
I guess you'd have a real problem with all the auto makers who only put speakers in the rear deck, but I'm sure you're too young to remember that...
Sure, but generally people who give half a **** about audio talk about "sound reproduction"....that is reproducing sound. Generally from a concert or recording studio. In nearly every case sound originates from IN FRONT OF the observer. Sure you can mount speakers wherever your heart desires, but I'm not sure what the point is.

I've been into this hobby (and driving legally) since the late '80s. I remember some God awful factory speaker locations, and certainly remember when it was vogue to do the 6X9 boxes on the rear deck..... hell, people still do it. It's loud but sounds like dirt.

The only rides I've been in that sound good with mids and highs in the rear are with good 5.1 channel processing and ONLY with material that's recorded in 5.1. Otherwise it doesn't really reproduce anything resembling a concert or studio and I haven't even got into the extra phasing and timing issues that are bound to arise from multiple sources.

OP, unles you have 5.1 processing don't bother. Add more stuff up front if you need it louder, or use more power (or more efficient speakers) or work on better locations for your speakers or sound deaden their mounting locations. Or if you like to listen to your music with the lead singer in front of you and behind you at the same time, knock yourself out. You're the one that has to listen to it.q

i will be using lots of power a dc 175.4 wired at 2ohms so that will be 250rms per channel. and my speakers are the top speakers cdt makes, my tweets are the best cdt has to offer. i think im gonna go with a set of these for the rears News: HD-6M Sub and do what princecmo suggested.

Sure, but generally people who give half a **** about audio talk about "sound reproduction"....that is reproducing sound. Generally from a concert or recording studio. In nearly every case sound originates from IN FRONT OF the observer. Sure you can mount speakers wherever your heart desires, but I'm not sure what the point is.
I've been into this hobby (and driving legally) since the late '80s. I remember some God awful factory speaker locations, and certainly remember when it was vogue to do the 6X9 boxes on the rear deck..... hell, people still do it. It's loud but sounds like dirt.

The only rides I've been in that sound good with mids and highs in the rear are with good 5.1 channel processing and ONLY with material that's recorded in 5.1. Otherwise it doesn't really reproduce anything resembling a concert or studio and I haven't even got into the extra phasing and timing issues that are bound to arise from multiple sources.

OP, unles you have 5.1 processing don't bother. Add more stuff up front if you need it louder, or use more power (or more efficient speakers) or work on better locations for your speakers or sound deaden their mounting locations. Or if you like to listen to your music with the lead singer in front of you and behind you at the same time, knock yourself out. You're the one that has to listen to it.q
Obviously you've never run rear fill or you wouldn't make a statement like that. Your ears can't localize the same sound at the same time from 2 different places. The stage will move to the middle of the car "if" the rear stage is as loud as the front, if that's a problem then you can either use the Fader, or dial back the gains for the rear stage. That will bring the stage to the front, but overall it will still be louder then with no rear stage.

FYI.....not everyone listens that critcally, some just want loud music and don't care about staging/timing/ect... Not sure why people find that so hard to comprehend.

Obviously you've never run rear fill or you wouldn't make a statement like that. Your ears can't localize the same sound at the same time from 2 different places. The stage will move to the middle of the car "if" the rear stage is as loud as the front, if that's a problem then you can either use the Fader, or dial back the gains for the rear stage. That will bring the stage to the front, but overall it will still be louder then with no rear stage.
FYI.....not everyone listens that critcally, some just want loud music and don't care about staging/timing/ect... Not sure why people find that so hard to comprehend.
I just removed my rear stage, and it was honestly nothing but a waste of money. But to each there own. Everyone has there preference. I didnt listen when everyone told me I didnt need a rear stage. So bought the 6x9's, then unhooked them about a week later and went active instead with just a front stage. Yeah, all I did was wasted money on those rears. Turns out everyone was right after all......

There's nothing wrong with rear fill as long as its integrated properly and in fact can be better than a system with only fronts.
OP, I say try a decent mid. Your stock mids might even be nice enough. Band passed from roughly 300-3000 hz and attenuated. Start there and if u don't like it, go from there.
^^ This, nothing wrong with it at all if it's done properly. SQ guys do it all the time.

You can actually run rear fill and maintain proper staging, timing, etc. If you are looking for the "concert experience" the reflection from the back of the auditorium or whatever can be duplicated. Listen to a CD that has been mastered for a 5.1 playback and you will know what I'm talking about.

i will be using lots of power a dc 175.4 wired at 2ohms so that will be 250rms per channel. and my speakers are the top speakers cdt makes, my tweets are the best cdt has to offer. i think im gonna go with a set of these for the rears News: HD-6M Sub and do what princecmo suggested.
If anything I'd think you'd be better off going with mids off of head unit power. Little subs aren't going to add much if you already have a robust sub stage.

Headphones! My ***** just got hard. NOTHING beats a really good pair of headphones, properly powered by a decent headphone amp, fed with a good source. You can't beat music IN your head. That is my preferred method to listen to anything but bass heavy music. A 1000.00 headphone setup will kill a 10,000.00 home audio setup.

Unfotunately I never got to see Floyd live. However I have heard at ton of quadrophonic, thanks to my awesome parents. The 5.1 stuff is rediculous too. It is a trip indeed. Is there a 5.1 Dark Side of the Moon? DSOTM = probably favorite album, by the way. That and Steely Dan's Aja are my "reference" recordings when I'm listening critically. I know them inside and out, backwards and forwards.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.