rear fill

gunny86
10+ year member

wi
ok i am going to take out my old rear speakers and put in a mid but im not sure about what to do, is midrange only 4 inch and below and then mid bass in over 4inch? if so do i want bidbass or mid in the back. i havent found any regular mids that are 6 1/2 s so im not sure.also im gonna get kick panels for the front but they only come in 6 1/2s wouldnt i want plain mid in the front and not midbass? thanks alot. later

Ic's right, if you don't have a processor with time correction rear speakers will just botch up your sound stage. Concentrate on your front spkrs, that's where it's at. The bigger the spkr you can fit up front the better (but I likes good punch, heh). A 6.5 component set will give you good midbass, clarity and pull your sound stage (imaging) up front where it belongs.

If you don't care about imaging and just want loud, then put a set of 2 way's of factory replacement size back there and run them off the deck. If you use an amp then reduce the gain to those two spkrs to de-emphasize them some.

Don't forget the sound deadening material. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Keep the thump IN the car; yup yup.

ok but what about some rear fill? dont need or what ? also about the midrange bidbass thing? does it change anfet 4 inch or???thanks

rear fill is not that important. good imaging states:: treble up front, bass down back.

i disconnected my rears the other day and im gonna keep it that way.. i like it more.

midbass and midrange are the freuency ranges above bass, and below high freqs.

not sure exactly, i think it starts at maybe 250Hz, and goes to some higher number.

A 4" spkr will play vocals well, but a 4" is incredible limited if it's used all by itself. Usually the only time a 4" is installed by choice is when it is with a larger woofer (6" to 8" for bass) and a tweeter (for highs) and even that is rare. Only high end component systems add a 4" becuz the tweeter and the woofer do the job well enough by themselves. If you want good midbass and a solid front stage then I'd install a 6.5" component set up front and save any money you'd spend on rear spkrs. I have a set of rear 6x9's in my car but I already owned them, and the fader on my deck is set so they barely play. If they are loud enough you can close your eyes and locate them when all four spkrs are playing, then they are too loud. You shouldn't know they are there, they should add just enough sound to "fill" but not to distract or move your sound stage (you should be able to close your eyes and the band playing is supposed to sound like it's standing right on your dash).

Hope that helps, but if you have more questions don't be shy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ok first off......rear fill can be a good thing, but you need to be looking for the proper type of fill! You do not want a midrange and high end in the rear for a fill because it does ruin your sound stage and you lose a lot for sound quality. If say you wanted to drop a 6-8" woofer for a midbass fill it would be a whole different story, but you do want to cancel out, using a crossover, any of the vocal range of frequencies. Best bet if you are looking for more high end tho would be to start up front like the others have stated and then slowly move on back if you really feel like your missing something so terribly bad. Just about the only reason why I have anything in my rear at all is because I have a theater set-up inside and kinda like the 5.1 sound.....Tho guaranteed for competitions I am going to have them lowered down to a minimum level or possibly even shut that amp off.

I hadn't thought about just going with a woofer in back, but that makes perfect sense.

It's one of those numb forehead moments (smack!) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Originally posted by Frraksurred I hadn't thought about just going with a woofer in back, but that makes perfect sense.

It's one of those numb forehead moments (smack!) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
Yeah it is not often thought of, but often times just a woofer or midbass wrather than midrange or high end can create just enough fill to cover between the sub range and the vocal range, which creates a fairly nice effect.

Originally posted by Alaxan Yeah it is not often thought of, but often times just a woofer or midbass wrather than midrange or high end can create just enough fill to cover between the sub range and the vocal range, which creates a fairly nice effect.

But midbass is directional, it will still effect your imaging if they are in the rear.

Originally posted by icgraven But midbass is directional, it will still effect your imaging if they are in the rear.
Midbass is only semi directional and as a filler from a sub bass does not affect the imaging so much as one would imagine.

Originally posted by Alaxan Midbass is only semi directional and as a filler from a sub bass does not affect the imaging so much as one would imagine.
But still directional none ther less. WE can argue all day but that will be pointless. I will say to the untrained ear you will likely not even notice them in the rear, or not care for that matter.

ok i hear ppl talking about frequencies that stuff comes in./..

i want my 6x9 in and 2 12" i have 6" in the front and my deck can limit the rear freq. to 100 -150 -250 .. will that help with the sound stage or should i unhook them...

another idea is a switch to toggle the subs or the 6x9's which would be easy but would it be worth it?

any ideas?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.