Rear camera wiring install

Participant count
  • Participant list

Creel228

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 2004 Silverado, installing an aftermarket radio with a backup camera. I have everything in and working, well everything except for the directional lines on the camera. The pigtail for the new radio has a wire called steering wheelline, I am guessing that’s for the directional lines on the camera. The problem is my trucks original radio harness isn’t showing that wire. Does anyone know if there is a wire and if so where is it located? I like the camera but it looks strange with the lines staying straight when I turn the steering wheel to backup. Thanks for any help

I discussed this with an installer before and was told that unless your truck already had a backup system with the steering column sensor to tell the radio where to "bend the lines" when you crank the wheel, you are SOL.
I'm betting three nickels a 2004 will not have it as my 2014 Toyota did not.

And I owe you fifteen cents due to working from info that's a year old. There is an adapter that will plug in to the OBD2 port on your vehicle and give you that signal. It's only about $200. How bad do you want those lines to bend?

I discussed this with an installer before and was told that unless your truck already had a backup system with the steering column sensor to tell the radio where to "bend the lines" when you crank the wheel, you are SOL.
I'm betting three nickels a 2004 will not have it as my 2014 Toyota did not.

And I owe you fifteen cents due to working from info that's a year old. There is an adapter that will plug in to the OBD2 port on your vehicle and give you that signal. It's only about $200. How bad do you want those lines to bend?
Thanks for the info. I doubt it’s worth 200 so I will probably just live with it. Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...