Re vs sundown

I have to disagree what you here.I've found that a longer 4layer coil with a larger topplate is a better option than a 8 layer coil in many cases. Not only that but it gives you more xmax.

I'd also rather in some applications perfer stepping ul to a 4" coil.id agree they have Superior cooling over the same length 3" 8layer coil but it doesn't take long for them to get extremely heavy. Although mass for the most part isn't a huge deal it much be accounted for and if you can keep it low I'd suggest you do so..
Uh oh.

Wheres my popcorn?!

---------- Post added at 06:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Paint isn't supposed to cool. More for looks.

Fact is 8 layer could take more power than 4 layer but the fact is we rely on air as a cooling source and the glues and metals ability to exchange the heat into the air. The more windings you have the better it can withstand the induced heat but it has more "trapped" heat.

The thing I don't agree with is long voice coils aren't a bad thing. In almost all cases your better off with a very long 4 layer vc and a larger topplate to compensate for the bl difference them using a smaller topplate and a 8 layer vc.

2 reasons.

1 The longer coil has much more surface area.

2 the increased topplate height also I creases thermal conductivity and dissipation over the 8 layer smaller topplate designs I see ll to often.

And annadizibf and electroplating don't do very much in increasing terminal conductivity. It's really used for corrusion protecting..

It's really that easy to understand

I have to disagree what you here.I've found that a longer 4layer coil with a larger topplate is a better option than a 8 layer coil in many cases. Not only that but it gives you more xmax.
Sounds exactly like an NS v.3 -- 45mm top plate, 80mm WW coil, 4-Layers.

I've asked this on other forums but this looks like the place for it.
Re sxx v2 12 d4

Or

Sundown sa-12 d4

My amp at 2ohms puts out 1000 rms so that's not the problem. Which is better bang for buck.

(Already own the RE just wondering if the SD is an upgrade)
That is more of a lateral move.

My design philosophy varies from the RE in that I chose a 2.5" copper coil (it's heavier) -- but, IMO, I prefer the resulting suspension compliance from this configuration to get the mix of thermal to mechanical power handling I was looking for from the SA series when my target FS was reached. The 3" aluminum coils are too light for what I was shooting for (so the spider is very soft) & 3" copper coils are too heavy (too stiff of a suspension). Our excellent venting design does lead to thermal power handling similar to many lower-cost 3" coil drivers on our SA series.

So the woofers are quite different but I consider them in the same "class" as one another.

Well I don't know much about the nightshade. I just know what I test and my results.
My newest, highest powered drivers use very tall top plates & very long 4-layer coils. Both the NS v.3 (3" coil) and TEAM (4" coil). My results agree that it works out very well thermally.

MY dad has 2 ZV4's 18's so I know how hard these little bastards hurt. I just didn't want to leave my RE in the dust if it's not worth it.
Oh snap! That I didn't know lol

Cool dad imo....It looks like some testing would be in your future. But also depends upon which version RE subs were talkin' about here. I happen to have the 4 original SE series. I'm not wanting to give them up, yet although I'm thinking about selling them. And in superb condition.

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']@sundownz Hey Jacob, saw that x6.5 v2 excursion vid on facebook a few days ago. Looks pretty insane for a 6.5" driver!! Price, details, msrp, and release date on them?[/QUOTE]

Price & ratings will be the same as the v.1 model & T/S won't change a whole lot -- I am ironing out the details to start production again. Will be in the first half of 2016.

i've been trying to find a build house to suit my need but no avail. they want a freaking arm and a leg for what i want.. for a 9" motor with a full copper sleeve an a 32mm topplate this dude want 325 dollars a pop. no coil spiders or baskets. so ive gonna save to get the st custom CNCed locally. they have over 100 CNC shops in 20 square miles form me.. lol

I'm a CNC machinist myself. So what your after is a job shop environment. You might know this already but tryin' to help ya anyway. I can tell ya most shop labor is 60+ hrly.....depending upon shop time, turn-around time, programming, tooling (if necessary) and so on.

I have a small manual mill if that helps. Lmk if it can be any use for ya. Also.....I believe A_Contraptions has a manual lathe if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. No doubt I'll keep you in mind.

I have a few friends that are in the field and things are slow so I'm kinda banking on ordering some 1008 and they might don't it for a buzz. Kmsl.. Just need to prototype or 2 to find the correct soft parts etc.... Just don't trust many people with my rep and money.

I might not be likable and a **** but I demand the best and take pride in what I do. If I build it its going to be the best that can be built..

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Reedradar

Reedradar
Washington
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Reedradar