RE Audio XXX 15 ***** balls.. Why???

run 16 sq inches of port per cube. at 4 cubes you dont have nearly enough port. also that box could be a bit bigger. try 4.5 cubes tuned to liek 32hz with 72=75 inches of port

I had 3 new style XXX 18s walled. Each was powered by a Digital Design Z1 amp @ 1ohm. Box was big as hell. What are you tuned to? The subs give big increase down low and box sounds like its off tuning from what you say. I loved my 3 XXX subs did a 158s daily on music and peaked 161 on TL using non test tone. I ended up pulling them out to go with 12s and more power. I ended up running 2 Z1 per sub for fun at last show and well they didn't like that at all and they needed reconing LOL. I sold 2 out of the 3 off and have one kicking around. I think if you tuned higher you would get much better double bass out of the sub. Remember that 15" new style has been vid and put online with 8k rms class AB power and it plays every note. I am thinking your box is whats killing the sub. You also had used SPL sub before where they liked higher bass feq and not low end but you used 2 and lots of power to make up for it. I think if you tune up or go sealed you will get better sound.

that box is way to big for that sub. RE optimal sizing for that sub if 4 cubes tunes to 33hz. at 4.5 cubes with proper port tunes to 32hz it shoudl fit that sub perfectly

Umm get better front speakers. No sub will make metallica sound good. Rock music is mostly about frequencies above 80hz. Also the XXX is definetly designed to play loud and low more than anything, so probably not the best sub choice overall. Anyway with your space constraints I'd seal the box off and add polyfill to try to make the enclosure act as if it's a bit bigger. You really don't have enough space to port something like that.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif thats crazy talk.not every one on here likes a one note wonder. the kick drum should be picked up by your sub and should do it with authority as well as the lower booming notes. if not then your set up isnt right or your subs are poop for sq. i prefer sealed enclosures myself because i like many genres of music but one of my cars i have two re sx 10s ported and they still hit the kick pretty decent as they are only recommended for ported, if they didnt i would of sold them.

op try it in a sealed box to specs, if it still doesnt hit with punch then sell it or trade it. some subs it doesnt matter what you do they just dont have any punch at all which in my mind are pretty much useless as im not one to listen to heavy bass rap or bass cd's constantly although i do listen to them alot. a good system should bang no matter the song. when you play your metallica the kick drum should jolt your eyes. oh btw harvester of sorrow is the shhhh.

I had 3 new style XXX 18s walled. Each was powered by a Digital Design Z1 amp @ 1ohm. Box was big as hell. What are you tuned to? The subs give big increase down low and box sounds like its off tuning from what you say. I loved my 3 XXX subs did a 158s daily on music and peaked 161 on TL using non test tone. I ended up pulling them out to go with 12s and more power. I ended up running 2 Z1 per sub for fun at last show and well they didn't like that at all and they needed reconing LOL. I sold 2 out of the 3 off and have one kicking around. I think if you tuned higher you would get much better double bass out of the sub. Remember that 15" new style has been vid and put online with 8k rms class AB power and it plays every note. I am thinking your box is whats killing the sub. You also had used SPL sub before where they liked higher bass feq and not low end but you used 2 and lots of power to make up for it. I think if you tune up or go sealed you will get better sound.
Something about these numbers..........

that box is way to big for that sub. RE optimal sizing for that sub if 4 cubes tunes to 33hz. at 4.5 cubes with proper port tunes to 32hz it shoudl fit that sub perfectly
RE's recommended enclosure specs for the XXX are wrong.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif thats crazy talk.not every one on here likes a one note wonder. the kick drum should be picked up by your sub and should do it with authority as well as the lower booming notes. if not then your set up isnt right or your subs are poop for sq.
Midbass is localizable. So you dont want your subs, playing in mono, probably from your trunk, to dominate that frequency range. In a true sq setup, the subs dont even play above 60 or 70hz at the most. Many times they are lowpassed in the 50hz range. A well designed system plays 60hz+ from the front stage alone.

sq or not. I would at least like the option with this sub.. re should state that it cannot reproduce 50+hz better than a sony xplod. I sent them an email, to ask them to explain this to me.. To me this sub would be perfect for home theatre, where I actuall give a **** about sq. In my car, I want to be rattled at 20hz, and have trouble breathing at 30-40, and then I would like metallica, pantera, slayer, and tool to beat the **** out of me violently above 50hz. My fault anyways, should have done more research.. Oh yeah, and as far as SQ goes. I have yet to find any type of music that sounds good with this sub. I'll be playing something, sounds alright, and then it creeps up to the 50 hz mark and falls on it's ass..

Blame the install, box, power, size of vehicle. I don't care, the only reason i'm bringing it up is so the next guy considering one of these, might find this post and go with something different..

Its no secret the new xxx requires a substantial midbass setup to back it up. This was also the same of the old xxx and many other 'supersubs' these days.

Again, if you want to improve your 50hz+ region, look into upgrading your front stage midbass setup, not the sub. An active 3-way front stage with excellent midbass, while using your new xxx, would work very well. Instead, you are probably running some mid-level passive 2-way comp set and blaming the sub for so little midbass.

Its no secret the new xxx requires a substantial midbass setup to back it up. This was also the same of the old xxx and many other 'supersubs' these days.
Again, if you want to improve your 50hz+ region, look into upgrading your front stage midbass setup, not the sub. An active 3-way front stage with excellent midbass, while using your new xxx, would work very well. Instead, you are probably running some mid-level passive 2-way comp set and blaming the sub for so little midbass.
Wanna suggest a midbass driver?

What will you be running it with up front, and what frequency range are you needing it to play?
I'll have it on a Sundown 100.4... I'm not sure on what frequency... I'm just getting my new setup planned because I'm getting a new car. I'll have 2 12" MT's tuned to 32 in the back of the Sequoia.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.