RE Audio XXX 15 ***** balls.. Why???

Don't know why they do that, to be honest. Probably because if they told you that they need a 4ft^3 sealed box of a 5-6ft^3 ported box people wouldn't want to buy it. As far as your box goes, it's going to be peaky unless you tune in the mid-upper 20's...just the nature of woofer like these. The Fi SSD is the same way on the 15" and 18" models. Great low-end monsters in the right box though.

Umm get better front speakers. No sub will make metallica sound good. Rock music is mostly about frequencies above 80hz. Also the XXX is definetly designed to play loud and low more than anything, so probably not the best sub choice overall. Anyway with your space constraints I'd seal the box off and add polyfill to try to make the enclosure act as if it's a bit bigger. You really don't have enough space to port something like that.
Wooowwww wrong. No sub YOU'VE heard maybe..

I've run the exact woofer your running..... I posted a 147.9 on the TL sealed off 2k rms... at 48 htz.

I ran a 4.3 cube box with almost 80 sq inches of port, in a slot port box, and to be honest, it was hard to sit in....

also the issue may be your filters on the amp as well.

I tuned at 32 htz. and It didn't like bass upper in the 60 htz and up. and the real issue is this,

the 2000 rms rating isn't really for a good solid all around music sound. the sub has so much xmax that the sub really needs a good damening factor amp. and Some real power

I only ran the sub on 1000 rms daily. but off good clean power. *(jl 1000/1) daily and when I hooked the amp up to an Atomic 3k. well it was a world of a difference the power of the punch was crazy. it hit hard, and killed the upper range as well. I saw at around 65 htz a full good 3-4 inch excursion. sounded nuts and played like a monster.

I suggest trying something a little beefier than 2krms. It really needs a good 3-3500 depending on port size. I suggest also a good 60+ sq inches of port minimum. if you can get more then do it.

It really needs an efficient port. and the size you have now isn't going to do much no matter the tuning nor the power. just not super great as a ported sub unless you give it enough port.

I've run the exact woofer your running..... I posted a 147.9 on the TL sealed off 2k rms... at 48 htz.

I ran a 4.3 cube box with almost 80 sq inches of port, in a slot port box, and to be honest, it was hard to sit in....

also the issue may be your filters on the amp as well.

I tuned at 32 htz. and It didn't like bass upper in the 60 htz and up. and the real issue is this,

the 2000 rms rating isn't really for a good solid all around music sound. the sub has so much xmax that the sub really needs a good damening factor amp. and Some real power

I only ran the sub on 1000 rms daily. but off good clean power. *(jl 1000/1) daily and when I hooked the amp up to an Atomic 3k. well it was a world of a difference the power of the punch was crazy. it hit hard, and killed the upper range as well. I saw at around 65 htz a full good 3-4 inch excursion. sounded nuts and played like a monster.

I suggest trying something a little beefier than 2krms. It really needs a good 3-3500 depending on port size. I suggest also a good 60+ sq inches of port minimum. if you can get more then do it.

It really needs an efficient port. and the size you have now isn't going to do much no matter the tuning nor the power. just not super great as a ported sub unless you give it enough port.
Thanks for the info. I would have been scared to run 3kw or more to a new xxx, but it sounds like you didnt have any trouble doing it. I assume your charging system was sufficient to accommodate the 3kw.

I think you make a good point about the large port area too.

I sealed up the box, and put some stuffing in it.. It violently plays 20-40 some hz, but 50 plus hz is lacking output.. plays, but not loud.. I can live with that.. Maybe i'll cut it off @50, and put in another woofer to play 50 +

Wooowwww wrong. No sub YOU'VE heard maybe..
Hmm, I've heard adire Brahma, IDQ, AE AV15, adire koda, IDMAX, and a couple others I'm not remembering right now that are all high end SQ subs. 80hz and down isn't that hard, level match it, check phase, done lol. If you want rock to sound good your front speakers are 99.9% of the battle. I can turn my sub off for metallica and barely miss it because there just isn't alot of info below 80hz that is crucial.

I sealed up the box, and put some stuffing in it.. It violently plays 20-40 some hz, but 50 plus hz is lacking output.. plays, but not loud.. I can live with that.. Maybe i'll cut it off @50, and put in another woofer to play 50 +
How did it change in terms of loudness after you sealed it? I might try sealing mine this weekend if I have time. Not sure if ~6 cubes net sealed is too much or not.

The sub is not garbage you just have too much sub and not enough power. If you want a "punchy" bass and you're not worried about the low end, then you can actually go a little smaller on the box and open the port up.

How did it change in terms of loudness after you sealed it? I might try sealing mine this weekend if I have time. Not sure if ~6 cubes net sealed is too much or not.
It plays lower, and the sound is more even, and no longer overpowers the rest of the system at 40hz.. I don't think I would go back to porting it, and I prefer ported enclosures (until now anyways). @6cubes, it should play a lot louder in the 20-50hz range. I think you would like it.

In a ported enclosure, this sub gets a 5db boost at a specific frequency, and drops steadily from there, really not pleasing to listen to.. If you're a bass head, just tune the box to 40hz, and be done with. otherwise sealed is definately the way to go..

I played bass I love you, both ported and sealed.. definately better sealed.. when it hit the lowest frequency, that sub was pumping in and out screamin "you like that *****", rattling the **** out of everything, trying to remove the roof and windows.. 05 trailblazer ext.. Pretty impressive low end.

I've always wanted to go back to a sealed setup and play Bass I Love You on it...never tried it with a sealed setup before, and that low note just flaps, even when I'm tuned in the mid-upper 20's. I guess I could do a box tuned to 12-15hz and see what happens. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

low note in that song is around 9hz IIRC, tune LOWWW. 12hz would be fine, you'll just need a big box and alot of port area to go alog with it lol. An EBS in a car might be fun to mess with lol.

not to mention its a **** sq sub... the mts are the re line made for spl and power.. they dont even have a rating on the power they can take.. sell it... looks like alot of epople want it.. get you an mt and feed it all you can afford in amps

I don't really care for spl anymore.. Already lost a lot of hearing from spl comps when I was younger.. My goal was to put in a sub that would play low and sound good for the various music I listen to..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.