RE Audio XXX 12 versus (2) MX 12's

considering batt(s), and amps..the average car can't fit 6 cubes in the trunk..i know i can't in my tsx //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif
You are correct, the (apparent) size requirements for a XXX limit what vehicles it would work well in. Which is exactly why RE bullshits us with too small of enclosure recommendations, to avoid loss of sales. But the backlash from bad recommendations does that just as much, if not more.

You are correct, the (apparent) size requirements for a XXX limit what vehicles it would work well in. Which is exactly why RE bullshits us with too small of enclosure recommendations, to avoid loss of sales. But the backlash from bad recommendations does that just as much, if not more.
I don't know why they BS us, I mean the sub is over 12" deep and 70+ pounds. If you are in it that far, might as well make a big box! LOL

I don't know why they BS us, I mean the sub is over 12" deep and 70+ pounds. If you are in it that far, might as well make a big box! LOL
Because the more appropriate sized enclosure would render many vehicles simply too small. Not to mention, almost nobody would buy/attempt to install 2 of them, unless they own a van or SUV. The almighty dollar entices RE to do it.

considering batt(s), and amps..the average car can't fit 6 cubes in the trunk..i know i can't in my tsx //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif
Neither of my vehicles have a trunk.

If you really want to, it's possible.

I have an '09 SLK55 hardtop convertible, took out the spare, and having a custom sealed 5cu fiberglass enclosure made for a new 15" XXX. Still have room to drop the top //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Install should be done ~7 days, I'll post pics and impressions.

If it sounds like crap, I'll probably replace it with an AA or Fi driver and use the XXX for my next HT project //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well after reading this forum I am having seccond thoughts about the 2 12" xxx's sitting in my shop waiting for a box...although I am very glad I read this topic. Because I was about 2 weeks away from building a box from specs from the owners manual I got with the subs.. I can easily build an 8 cube box and have some room left over in my trunk but also remember I have 2 of the 12" xxx new ones. I was guna run them off 2 alpine pdx1.1000 amps and I already have about 55ft of 1/0 gauge for amp and battery runs and for big 3 and yes I have factored the cost of 2bats and a new alt if anyone was going to ask lol. If anybody knows a good porter box size around 8cubes please met me know thanks all

It is quite the topic on several forums just what box to put the new XXXs in.

I took it upon myself to call RE and talk to tech support because i was planning on running a xxx.

I got a D2 12, and would be installing it into a 03 civic hatchback.

I talked to the guy, asking him what he suggested tuning to, box size ect.

He told me he usually builds boxes for 12s at roughly 3 cubes after displacement, and tunes it to about 33 hertz. He also told me to try and run it so it was firing towards the rear.

So i built the box, ended up being right about 3 cubes after sub, port and brace displacements. It ended up tuning to about 33.6 hertz.

The sub is wired to 1 ohm and is being pushed by a hifonics bxi2010d, say what you want about the amp, its underpowered, whatever else, its getting a solid 14.3 volts at the input so it is probably pushing the sub some decent watts.

I do know one thing for sure, that that ****er gets pretty loud, the door panels flex quite a bit, the windshield flexes the top seal, the rearview mirror shakes like mad. It hits the lows insanely.

HOWEVER, i feel like this sub isnt doing everything it can in that enclosure whatsoever. i know the xmax on these subs in crazy, and you can tell that it is no where near its maximum point of excursion.

I plan on trying out a sealed enclosure soon, just because i think this thing can do much more than it already is. For a daily driver though, it does pound, without a doubt.

Thats just my experience with the sub...

The MX's are power hungry, I had four of them at one point. I grossly misused them as well, since I am an SPL person and heard these were "SPL woofers"... didnt work out so well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I did better #'s with one Am Bass 15 and one Orion 2500d than four MX 12's and two 2500d's @ .5 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

It is quite the topic on several forums just what box to put the new XXXs in.
I took it upon myself to call RE and talk to tech support because i was planning on running a xxx.

I got a D2 12, and would be installing it into a 03 civic hatchback.

I talked to the guy, asking him what he suggested tuning to, box size ect.

He told me he usually builds boxes for 12s at roughly 3 cubes after displacement, and tunes it to about 33 hertz. He also told me to try and run it so it was firing towards the rear.

So i built the box, ended up being right about 3 cubes after sub, port and brace displacements. It ended up tuning to about 33.6 hertz.

The sub is wired to 1 ohm and is being pushed by a hifonics bxi2010d, say what you want about the amp, its underpowered, whatever else, its getting a solid 14.3 volts at the input so it is probably pushing the sub some decent watts.

I do know one thing for sure, that that ****er gets pretty loud, the door panels flex quite a bit, the windshield flexes the top seal, the rearview mirror shakes like mad. It hits the lows insanely.

HOWEVER, i feel like this sub isnt doing everything it can in that enclosure whatsoever. i know the xmax on these subs in crazy, and you can tell that it is no where near its maximum point of excursion.

I plan on trying out a sealed enclosure soon, just because i think this thing can do much more than it already is. For a daily driver though, it does pound, without a doubt.

Thats just my experience with the sub...
you should try just sealing the box you have right now and see how it sounds

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.