RE Audio XXX 12 versus (2) MX 12's

GLN305
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Anyone heard these subs head to head. I am about to pull the trigger on a single 12" XXX, but then I am thinking I can also do a pair of the MX 12's. Lemme know what you have experienced. I know the XXX has huge X-Max, so it should do wonders in a well built enclosure, but then again there is no replacement for displacement with a pair of the MX's.

Most people dislike the newer XXX subs because they're incorrectly used on a grand scale. The subs thrive is massive sealed enclosures, but most people in the scene want to use smaller ported designs. The XXX costs a small fortune and doesn't perform all that well in that environment, so people who've heard it under those circumstances are not impressed.

With a proper enclosure and correct power, the RE XXX is a bad a$$ subwoofer. But most people aren't willing to lose their entire trunk, hatch or cargo area for a single 12" or 15" subwoofer. RE Audio isn't helping their case at all either. They flat out lie about the sub's air space requirements, and they really need to stop that. It's killing the reputation of their flagship design.

Most people dislike the newer XXX subs because they're incorrectly used on a grand scale. The subs thrive is massive sealed enclosures, but most people in the scene want to use smaller ported designs. The XXX costs a small fortune and doesn't perform all that well in that environment, so people who've heard it under those circumstances are not impressed.
With a proper enclosure and correct power, the RE XXX is a bad a$$ subwoofer. But most people aren't willing to lose their entire trunk, hatch or cargo area for a single 12" or 15" subwoofer. RE Audio isn't helping their case at all either. They flat out lie about the sub's air space requirements, and they really need to stop that. It's killing the reputation of their flagship design.
What size enclosures are you speaking of? Using Win ISD the XXX 12'' needs 1.26 cubes sealed or 2.6 cubes ported tuned to 21Hz. Of course these are optimally flat alignments according to Win ISD. I am just wondering what real world enclosure sizes are the best. Thanks for chiming in!

I was told that the 12" model needs around 6-ish cubes sealed. But I'm not trying to act like an expert on something that I have no experience with. I was interested in walling a pair of 18" XXX's in my Dakota, but I was told by several people (on several forums) that I don't have the space.

I've toyed around with the specs for lots of other 18" models since then, and I have more than enough space for nearly all of them. Based on this alone, I know the XXX subs need huge enclosures in order to perform properly. I also read on a home theater forum that a guy gave an 18 nearly 15 cubes. That's probably overkill, but I can't say for certain...

Well, I went ahead and bought the XXX from Michael Hughes. I think I'll enjoy it, if not I can sell and buy the MX's LOL. Gotta love the addiction of audio!

Now I gotta call RE and see what they think for ported designs.

A ported enclosure will minimize excursion, meaning you wont be getting alot of the performance you paid for in the XXX. Even after getting good advice, you are falling into the same trap many (dare I say most) new XXX owners have been caught in.

A ported enclosure will minimize excursion, meaning you wont be getting alot of the performance you paid for in the XXX. Even after getting good advice, you are falling into the same trap many (dare I say most) new XXX owners have been caught in.
Thank you.

I haven't been here for long, but this exact topic has come up numerous times. I simply don't understand why the people who buy RE XXX subs refuse to use them properly.

I think my comment was misunderstood as well as not stated properly. My goal is to build a pair of test enclosures one ported and one sealed and see what works the best. I am pretty sure I'll end up running it sealed.

Unfortunately this trap you speak of is set by the manufacturer trying to advertise smaller enclosure sizes. I'm sure I'll like this sub after doing some test enclosures. I just wish I could find more info on real world testing here. I spent hours searching yesterday and came up empty handed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.