RE Audio XXX 12 versus (2) MX 12's

Thank you.
I haven't been here for long, but this exact topic has come up numerous times. I simply don't understand why the people who buy RE XXX subs refuse to use them properly.
Probably because the recommended specs that are on the website and I assume in the manual are not right for the subwoofer. The only recommendations I received from people here are that they need larger than normal enclosures, but not even a ballpark figure as to what size. Luckily I now have a link to a review of one and can estimate enclosure size from that. Really it's lack of info that causes new users of these subs to improperly use them. If I had not made this thread and just used the info in the manual I would probably be selling the sub as soon as I get it since I'm sure the performance in the manual's enclosure specs would dissapoint me.

Unfortunately this trap you speak of is set by the manufacturer trying to advertise smaller enclosure sizes.
You are 100% correct. If you took my comment as somehow stating owners fall into the trap based on their own flawed logic, you misunderstood me. I have, many times, expressed my disappointment in RE publishing such poor enclosure recommendations.
Probably because the recommended specs that are on the website and I assume in the manual are not right for the subwoofer. The only recommendations I received from people here are that they need larger than normal enclosures, but not even a ballpark figure as to what size. Luckily I now have a link to a review of one and can estimate enclosure size from that. Really it's lack of info that causes new users of these subs to improperly use them. If I had not made this thread and just used the info in the manual I would probably be selling the sub as soon as I get it since I'm sure the performance in the manual's enclosure specs would dissapoint me.
The problem with getting any realistic enclosure recommendations is so few people have owned the sub, relatively speaking. And even fewer have gone beyond trying the recommended enclosure sizes, deciding the sub is a poor performer, selling it and then bad mouthing it on internet forums. The only real way you will find just the right sized enclosure for you, your situation, and your personal preference is to simply try out different enclosures until you get what you like. While this sounds ridiculous and time consuming, many audiophiles would tell you they only use manufacturer recommendations, and even t/s spec generated enclosure recommendations from modeling programs, as a starting point to start their trial and error based testing of their own enclosure sizes. Unfortunately, again due to lack of usage and improper manufacturer recommendations, this is really the only option you have at this point if you truly want to get the most out of your purchase. If I ever purchase one of these subs, that's exactly the approach I will take as well. Good luck.

You are 100% correct. If you took my comment as somehow stating owners fall into the trap based on their own flawed logic, you misunderstood me. I have, many times, expressed my disappointment in RE publishing such poor enclosure recommendations.
The problem with getting any realistic enclosure recommendations is so few people have owned the sub, relatively speaking. And even fewer have gone beyond trying the recommended enclosure sizes, deciding the sub is a poor performer, selling it and then bad mouthing it on internet forums. The only real way you will find just the right sized enclosure for you, your situation, and your personal preference is to simply try out different enclosures until you get what you like. While this sounds ridiculous and time consuming, many audiophiles would tell you they only use manufacturer recommendations, and even t/s spec generated enclosure recommendations from modeling programs, as a starting point to start their trial and error based testing of their own enclosure sizes. Unfortunately, again due to lack of usage and improper manufacturer recommendations, this is really the only option you have at this point if you truly want to get the most out of your purchase. If I ever purchase one of these subs, that's exactly the approach I will take as well. Good luck.
I agree completely. I plan on making an 8 cubic foot enclosure using a piece of PVC pipe as a port and cut it down until I get to a smaller sealed enclosure testing each enclosure for it's strengths and weaknesses. Then I'll build my custom enclosure based on what I find and I'll also post my results here.

I gotta be honest, this is the first sub I have come across that doesn't work well in the Win ISD enclosures that I toy with. I am accustomed to seeing the upper bass diminish as the enclosure size get larger. This beast seems to just get heavier on the low end without much sacrifice. Thanks for your input, I'll let you know what I find.

Im not even sure Id trust RE's advertised t/s specs at this point. Especially if they, when placed in a modeling program, still suggest smaller enclosures. RE is smart enough to know people will pop the t/s specs into WinISD or similar programs, and definitely are smart enough to know which specs to 'fudge' in order to make their recommendations seem legit.

Good luck with your testing. And you publishing your findings here would be appreciated, many people here have been waiting for someone to do some good enclosure testing on these subs and come forward with results. Maybe this will be the turning point in making the general population of this forum realize these subs are not the poor performers so many less adventurous owners have claimed in the past.

I'm going to keep an eye out for your enclosure testing. I'd do it myself, but I don't have the extra money that it would take to do the job. I have to drive 4 hours every time I need an extra sheet of mdf, and I don't have a place to properly store large amounts of the material. My small wood shop is filled with tools, and my garage is barely big enough for my vehicles.

I've researched this topic myself for quite a while, and I still see varied recommendations. Some home theater enthusiasts are claiming the subs need ridiculous amounts of air space, while some car audio enthusiasts are housing them in smaller ported enclosures. I know the ported enclosures are wrong, but I don't know exactly HOW big the the correct sealed enclosures are supposed to be.

Thanks to you, we may finally get some definitive answers...

I am having Pete over at PWK design my enclosure for a single RE XXX, with the design goal as a loud DD that meters reasonably.

Ill post the designs up here when I get them, the reason I went with Pete is because if anyone knows, he will.

I'm going to keep an eye out for your enclosure testing. I'd do it myself, but I don't have the extra money that it would take to do the job. I have to drive 4 hours every time I need an extra sheet of mdf, and I don't have a place to properly store large amounts of the material. My small wood shop is filled with tools, and my garage is barely big enough for my vehicles.
I've researched this topic myself for quite a while, and I still see varied recommendations. Some home theater enthusiasts are claiming the subs need ridiculous amounts of air space, while some car audio enthusiasts are housing them in smaller ported enclosures. I know the ported enclosures are wrong, but I don't know exactly HOW big the the correct sealed enclosures are supposed to be.

Thanks to you, we may finally get some definitive answers...
HT does not receive the benefit of the transfer function us car audio enthusiasts need, so they always tend to design larger, and/or lower tuned enclosures. And Home Theater usually means movie sound, which likes super low tuning for the tactile response of explosions etc, yet another reason to want lower tuning than us music fans.

Since I am a member of DIYMA maybe I need to find a way to have the XXX put on the Klippel so we can get some real numbers on it. I'll have to look into that!

I have the xxx 15. I am running a 4.3 cube box after all disp. I am tuned to right around 32 htz. I have about 62 sq inches of port. I am only running at best 1200 rms to my sub. and I have to say that is is very loud very clean and very accurate. The box works well. But i could see a bigger box being a little louder and lower but still I think that as it sits now its very very loud. Its loud enough that I am wondering if I add any more power I'm going to blow out the rear window. there is so much rear wall flex. and I've had to almost melt the tweeter ring in the back pillar to the plastic body panel because the pressure from the port firing up at it would blow it in the body panel. To say the least it has yet to disappoint me !!!

I have the xxx 15. I am running a 4.3 cube box after all disp. I am tuned to right around 32 htz. I have about 62 sq inches of port. I am only running at best 1200 rms to my sub. and I have to say that is is very loud very clean and very accurate. The box works well. But i could see a bigger box being a little louder and lower but still I think that as it sits now its very very loud. Its loud enough that I am wondering if I add any more power I'm going to blow out the rear window. there is so much rear wall flex. and I've had to almost melt the tweeter ring in the back pillar to the plastic body panel because the pressure from the port firing up at it would blow it in the body panel. To say the least it has yet to disappoint me !!!
Im confident you would benefit from a considerably larger box. 4 cubes ported is too small for the 15" version, according to everything Ive read and been told.

I'd be willing to give it that much space if the results are nice...
considering batt(s), and amps..the average car can't fit 6 cubes in the trunk..i know i can't in my tsx //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.