Rattles

Stripper pole for the windshield
Do people ever do a stripper pole in daily drivers? My 'information center' and windshield at the top move about an inch, and make ungodly amounts of rattle noise.

I have heard so many cars in my area with sub systems that vibrate and rattle like mad. Typically I'll listen to it with the owner and he'll comment on how great it sounds but all I hear is VIBRATION RATTLES! I did a 100% sound deadening in my TC and have not ONE RATTLE in the car anywhere even when the system is at full volume. The sound is incredible, door speakers, bass, mid bass so much tighter. Every time I get into a car with subs that rattles I can't stand the rattling noise and it really ruins having a good sub system. Call me old school, but if your going to build a system with high power amps, speakers, and subs the first stage should be sound deadening. Not only do you make the system sound incredible but you'll also reduce road noise and insulate the car which makes the AC work better. I used .080 mil Stinger Road Kill Expert from amazon which is currently 99 dollars with free shipping for a bulk pack 36sq ft. (I used 3.5 bulk packs about 120 sq ft). My system is pretty loud with the doors closed nothing rattles outside the car and you can't even hear the system playing inside very much. But put your hand on the back glass and you can sure feel it. Take out everything but your dash board and sound deaden the entire car, if you want overkill like I did then also put an MLV sound barrier carpet padding in as well. You will be amazed. My cost doing everything myself was about $400 bucks, money WELL SPENT!

I will warn you, it is not an easy job and very time consuming, check the pricing at your local car audio shop and inquire into the labor costs and you'll find it's typically about 1.5 x the cost of the material!

Start with the trunk/hatch area where your subs are and doors. Typically floorboards already have some type of sound deadening. You may find just doing the doors and hatch/trunk are enough and save a little money.

Weatherstripping from lowes/hd. Get the 3/4" wide 3/8" thick. Stuff works wonders for sealing up things like door panels and speaker mounts, stopping pieces from slapping together and causing panel rattle, etc. It costs like $4 for a 10' roll. I have at least 4 rolls of that in my pathfinder. A roll on my back hatch that goes around my rear windshield (cut down on the flex by at least half and it no longer slaps and makes any noise), a roll per front door and a roll on my roof to stop my headliner from slapping the roof braces.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

DatAudio

10+ year member
DatAudio
Michigan
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from