Random thoughts on Tweeters..

Participant count
  • Participant list

gstokes

FÜKENGRUVEN
My time here at caraudio.com has not been wasted and i have learned much, for almost 2 weeks i have been focused on system design, tweeter selection and location location location..

Learning how to read the off-axis frequency response to determine what is the best location for the tweeters was very enlightening, i am learning it takes more than just the balance knob to balance the system. Learning how bad the off-axis response can alter the frequency prompted me to put some serious thought into tweeter location. The tweeter is actually the most critical speaker in the system for at least a couple reasons, it has a very narrow (on-axis) angle of dispersion (+/- 15 degrees) which makes it's placement in relation to the listener absolutely paramount and it's in charge of reproducing the majority of musical instruments making it the most important component driver in any system design.

At first i was looking at tweeter pods then i discovered it's not a good idea to surface mount tweeters so i began pondering the thought of flush mounting the tweeters in the corners of the dashboard but soon realized i can't use the windshield to reproduce the music being reflected off of it, that would totally destroy off axis response since the tweeters would be facing virtually 90 degrees in another direction so that ruled out flush mounting on top of the dashboard.

I can't mount them in dash either, the left tweeter will be (roughly guesstimate) 2.5 ft away and the right tweeter will be 4 ft away and still suffering with horrible off axis response, so i am designing a wedge shaped mount to place the tweeter in the corners of the dashboard but standing up sideways and facing me with a 15 degree inward angle to greatly minimize (eliminate) off axis response on both sides, a 4 inch tall x 4 inch wide wedge with a 3 inch diameter Vifa BC25SC06-04 tweeter stuffed in the middle of it and resting in both lower corners of the windshield, the windshield is curved so the wedge will already be angled inward a few degrees.

The tweeter will have the windshield 1 inch above, the dashboard 1 inch below and the a-pillar side window 1 inch to the right and\or left, a waveguide of sorts to direct the high frequencies straight back and in towards the center of the dash creating a beautiful soundstage in the process !!

To mount my tweeters I made pods out of 2 Inch pvc caps and silicone. Drilled a small hole for a bolt and washer and the bolt will go through the rear deck and be secured with a washer and bolt in the trunk. Probably a horrible idea aiming them straight up at the rear windshield but oh well I guess..

debsjm.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.