Rainbow Profi 10" Wiring.. 2x3.3 ohm

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lucid15
10+ year member

Always open to trades!
My Rainbow Profi has dual voice coils, and the box says 2x3.3 ohm impedance. How do i wire this to my PDX-5 Amp to run at 4 ohm? cant find a calculator that does 3.3 ohms... Im also confused why the box says 2x3.3 shouldnt it be 4x3.3 since there are 2 sets of 2 inputs on the voicecoils? Im confused..

You should have a positive and negative for each coil. so 4 places to put wire, right? If so, regardless when wiring a 2 single voice coil speaker (or one dvc in your case), you have 2 options. Wiring the 2 coils in series will result in 2x the load on the amp, so 6.66ohms. Other option is parallel, which is 1/2 the load on the amp, so 1.6ohms. So there is no way to get a 4ohm load out of that. If you had 2 you could wire in series/parallel so running each of them at 1.6ohms, but then running the 2 speakers in series, that would be very close to a 4ohm load as it'll be double the 1.6 load. For now just wire it in series if you amp is only stable at 4ohms. It going to cut your power by 20-30%, nothing that'll make any major difference.

Found this bit on the alpine site: Per channel into 2 Ohms: (@ 14.4V Ƈ%THD+N, 20Hz - 200Hz @ 2I? for Mono ch.) 300W x 1 So i could wire these in parallel at 1.6 and should be fine? How do i wire them in parallel? Yes 1 set of terminals per voice coil.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.