Quick recone question

Participant count
  • Participant list

jdawg90
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
alberta
I'm about to recone my sa-8. The leads that are on it are flat (like tape) and the ones on my recone are rope shaped. What's the correct way to solder these to the ring terminal that connects to the speaker wire terminal (it's not like a battery ring terminal, instead of the wire being inserted into it and crimped it is just a flat piece of metal with a tiny hole for the lead)?

So basically I had to pry a ring that goes around the spider landing off that was screwed in and covered with epoxy (can't use it with drop in recone). I roughed it up pretty bad with the chisel and initially said F it I'll just get a basket but the nasket was just staring at me so I figured it couldn't hurt to go to town on it with a wire brush/drill and see how it looks.

Is the spider mounting surface salvageable with some TLC? This is my first recone, idk what an acceptable surface to mount the spider to is.

img_0179.jpg

img_0178.jpg

img_0177.jpg

img_0176.jpg

img_0175.jpg

Also, check out my blown sa-8 v1.5 VC. Been running a saz-1500d at 1 ohm to a pair of these for over a year now... basically double the rms rating. Got a little too confident with the gain and clipped it do death, one coil was reading 56 ohms. I was expecting it to be all burnt up but it still looks brand new.

img_0180.jpg

That should be fine. Likely the spider will fit right up to the lip anyway.

Also for future reference, if you de-soldered the terminals you could simply snip the top with some kleins and open up the O shaped hole to look like a U. Stuff the flat leads into that, crimp it a little, then re-solder

I don't really follow you, this is what I'm working with

img_0181.jpg

I was planning on desoldering the tape shaped leads, sticking the new lead through the holes the other leads are soldered to, putting a little glob of solder on the end of the rope lead and then soldering in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.