Quick question speaker wire----Easy answer?

way2sl0
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Just wondering. I can get 50 feet of 14 gauge for $13 cdn, and 18 feet of 12 gauge for 17$ cdn.

Would essentially running 2 sets of 14 gauge be the same as running a lower gauge ( greater than 12 ) or does the circuit find the path of least resistance and only use one set? ( If I twisted them together and they were equal length )

What should I do?

get the 14 gauge, its cheaper and u get more. You wont notice a difference. And if u wanted to, u can always double up the 14, there the same size wire, so the flow will go thru both. Now if you used a 14gauge run and a 16gauge run, the flow would go thru the 14gauge bc of the less resistance.

Ok but twisting 2 sets of 14 gauge wire wouldnt use all the strands? In theory youd think it would since typically each individual strand is its own wire, meaning all the current goes through just one of those strands, the one with the least resistance?

No one knows electricity very well in this thread :/

It follows both paths. You could do 14 and 20 gauge, and it would go down both - but proportionately to the sizes of the wires.

Two 14 gauge wires would equal a lower gauge wire. I don't remember the exact math, I'm too lazy to calculate it, but yeah. bcae1.com can answer it.

200ft of 12 gauge is the best bet though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.