Quick q about tuning amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

sounds_explicit

Senior VIP Member
1.) get a DMM with an AC voltmeter.

2.) turn the HU to 3/4th to full volume.

3.) turn off bass boost and EQ. disconnect speakers at the amplifier (not at the speaker). turn off lowpass and highpass filters.

4.) determine how much AC Voltage should be on the outputs for a given power.

V = (Power * Impedance)^0.5 (square root of the product of power and impedance.) see a wiring guide for multi-sub setups.

5.) adjust the gain on the amp until this voltage appears on the DMM. measure AC voltage at the amp's output.

Ok so on have a 3000 watt amp I want to pull 2500 from it until my elect gets a little better. Q is when I calculate the power I want (2500) I would look for the voltage as. 2500x1 because my subs are at a 1 ohm load at amp? Or do I do 2500x4 for dual 4 ohm subs?
Sqrt of 2500x1ohm is 50 volts?
But the sqrt of 2500x4ohms is 100 volts which doesn't seem right. So if I use 5o volts I'll set the dmm to acv and turn gain until 50 volts appears? Problem is the system pounds but when I turn my gain up the voltage doesn't go up. I'm starting to think my dmm is busted.. trying to make sure I didnt dk anything wrong. I set lpf all the way up gain down bass boost off along with its freq sub sonic feeq was down, pulled the speaker wires from amp. Hu loud off sla off mid treble bass flat etc.. I didnt pull a logical number in the acv on my dmm.... so I have no idea on the voltage I'm setting it at. Did I do something wrong ? I just checked an outlet on acvoltage and it reads 121 to 122.36 volts so idk... I used 4o hz test tone also.

Follow this chart but still use 40hz test tone
RMSchart.jpeg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.