Question on Amp and Sub compatability

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys, this is my first post, but I have a question about amps and sub compatibility, because this is relatively new to me.

I'm looking into upgrading my system, specifically buying a new subwoofer. I recently bought two amps off of my friend, both Arc Audio. The first is an Arc Audio ks300.4 that I plan on running to my door speakers, and the second is an Arc Audio ks300.2, that bridges to 700 watts at 4 ohms that I plan on running to my new subwoofer.

With that out of the way, I'm looking into an RE Audio sub. As far as ohms, I don't really get the concept of the number of ohms with the wattage of the amp, and what combination would produce the best sound. I would like to buy an RE SXXv2 sub, but I'm not sure whether to go for the two ohm or the four ohm version? What would be the difference between the two? Can anyone give me an explanation and clear this up? Thanks!

Since your amp is 700 and the sub can handle over 1kw you would be looking to get as much power out of the amp as possible.

That 700w is available at 4 ohms -- so for a dual voice coil sub you'd need a d2. The coils can be wired in series for 4.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/product/img/subwoofer_wiring/1_sub_DVC_2_ohm_2ch_bridged.jpg

If you went with the d4 you'd have wiring options of 2 or 8. 2 would not be safe for the amp, and 8 would reduce its output to

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.