question for the people with horns...

cappy72
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
I have been enticed with the idea of getting horns. The main problem is the mounting location. I am wondering how the horns would sound if I decided to put them on my rear deck.

any thoughts?

Horns aren't something you just "add in" to your install. They take quite a bit of forethought - much more than just simply sticking the tweeters of your comp set somewhere.

They require quite a hefty midrange setup to keep up, almost require going fully active and EQ'ing on both channels to tame their output...

whatever you do. Dont do this.

1198056_50_full.jpg

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/slap.gif.87520e8ca8e90076ac30e777c0de5331.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif You brought me out of hibernation w/ this one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I have read a lot on horns and I am running a fully active setup now... I dont have a fully adjustable EQ so that is something that I knew I needed...

I was toying with the idea and I simply dont have room by my dash, unless I decide to glass a spot in the corners of my dash... and I am not sure I am going to do that...

as far as mids are concerned, I have the xxx6.5's right now, and if I got the horns in and needed more mid-bass I would consider getting another set of them...

all in all .... I just wanted to find out what everyone thought about the horns on the rear deck.... that would probably be my rear fill if I did it... but I guess not

I have horns and RE XXX mids as well...great combo IMO!!

they can be a P.I.T.A. to install....they are usually mounted under the dash

thing with horns is that they are very natural and smooth (not very harsh......though they might get peaky at times...EQmay be needed)

they are very effecient (2-3x more than tweeters)

horns also raise your soundstage

Im not going back to tweeters //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

*Illusion Audio CH-1 Drivers Mounted on Image Dynamics CD2 Pro Mini Horns*

oh btw...dont use horns in your rear

I have plenty of midbass with my XXXs...they are getting 160 wrms and are x-overed at 1200 hz and below......horns (40 wrms) are crossed at 1200 hz and above (yes, they play low frequencies well)

yea that is what I have read about the horns taking lower freqs.... so do you think mounting the horns in a kick panel type setup would work???

so do you think mounting the horns in a kick panel type setup would work???
Where would you put your feet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Those would be some monster kickpanels...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.