Bigger alternator or not?

Participant count
  • Participant list

fholla
10+ year member

I have a 1971 Impala with an Alterstart 135 amp alternator. My question is do I need a bigger alternator if I never intend on playing my system with out the car started? I also wanted to know if it would be better just to add a trunk battery or add both a bigger alternator and battery? My system consists of:

1 = MMats 3000.5 amplifier (2500 watts rms @ .5 ohms w/12 volts)

1 = MMats SQ4150 (4 x 150)

4 = Kicker S12L7 D4 (parellel/parellel to amp to give .5 ohm load)

4 = Boston Acoustic 6.5" inside speakers

i would add both. if you always run the system with the car on, that means it's drawing off the alt and not the battery. are you having voltage issues? have you done the big 3? do you have big enough power wire? i would add an HO alt before a 2nd battery.

I was wondering the same question about my set up, because I have to get a new altenator today, I have:

My car is a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire with a 105amp alternator, thinking about getting the 150amp HO alternator

RFP-P4002 (4 Gauge power and ground)(2 RFP3212 Subs)

Clarion APA-450 (8 Gauge power and ground)(TS-P462 4x6's, TS-C1302 5 1/4's)

Pioneer DEH-P740MP

What you need to do is hook the system up. Probably install a new battery under the hood. And do the Big 3. If you notice after this that you have voltage drops then a new HO alt would be a good idea.

I have it all hooked up, just the other day I thought my battery was dying, so I went to get it checked, and they said the alt. was going out, so I was considering getting the ho alt., I've had a system since I first got the car back in '97, I've changed it up quite a bit, but have stayed very close to the wattage I have now, I just noticed my lights dimming and wasn't sure if it was the alt. dying or me pulling to much power from a small alt., and I don't know if this matters but its the same alt. that the car came with, and this is my first time buying a new one.

What is the big 3? Forgot to mention I have 1/0 odd gage wiring with odd gage to the alternator and an Optima yellow to battery under the hood. I had a MMats 1400.1 and a MMats LM2100 in there at first and the only problem I would have is the subs wouldn't hit as hard after I had the system on for maybe 3 to 4 hours, cranked maybe 1.5 to 2 hours. I have a Alpine eq with subwoofer on and off as well.

if you need to get a new alt then you might as well invest in an HO alt and then you'll have headroom and will never have to worry about it. also make sure to do the big 3.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.