Question About System Build using Pioneer DEX-P99RS

Participant count
  • Participant list

jhow77

Hi all.

I have spent so much time researching the ins and outs of the possibilities of this system I'm going crazy. I've figured out everything I'd like to do to my satisfaction except for one thing, how to power the tweeters. Here's my ideal build so far:

Pioneer DEX-P99RS HU

Pioneer PRS-A900 4-CH.AMP

Pioneer TS-C172PRS 6-3/4" Components

Pioneer TS-S062PRS 2-5/8" Midrange

Rockford Fosgate T2D412 12" SUB

Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp AMP

Here's my question. Since this head-unit is supposed to be operated as a 4-way active setup, I need to power the tweeters separately and without involving the supplied crossover that comes with the speakers. Should I wire them parallel with the 2-5/8" midranges? This way I would have the 6-3/4" door speakers wired normally at 4ohms, and the tweets and 2-5/8" paralleled at 2ohms. In anyone's opinion, how will this affect overall sound quality and loudness when compared to the door speakers that are wired normally?

Could one simply forget powering them separately and just use the supplied crossover? This is the part I feel inadequate with, as I'm not sure how this specific head-unit will work with component speakers with a crossover. From research it sounds like that isn't the ideal way with this head-unit. So my only other thought is to buy a separate amp just to power the tweets which seems absolutely stupid. And I don't want to purchase a 6-channel amp because of how highly rated the 4-channel PRS-A900 is.

By the way, in case anyone hasn't already figured it out, this system will be a front sound stage only. Also curious people's thoughts on how this system will turn out. My guess it is will sound amazing!

Thanks everyone in advance.

I've heard the midranges sound INCREDIBLE. Is this not the case / waste of money? You say it won't do anything but wouldn't it complete an inadequate frequency range missed by the door speakers and tweets in the 350 to 2000 HZ range? As for an alternator, I've had similar setups like this before with either a cap or a dry cell, and always was fine with the stock alternator. As for the subs and sub amp, yes, I'm sure there are many other (great) choices, but I've had a few different brands in this category and have always like RF. What would you suggest?

Also can someone answer one of my original questions regarding wiring 6 speakers with the 4-channel amp? Is my theory about parallel wiring and the impedance correct? And will the overall sound suffer / lower?

I've heard the midranges sound INCREDIBLE. Is this not the case / waste of money? You say it won't do anything but wouldn't it complete an inadequate frequency range missed by the door speakers and tweets in the 350 to 2000 HZ range? As for an alternator, I've had similar setups like this before with either a cap or a dry cell, and always was fine with the stock alternator. As for the subs and sub amp, yes, I'm sure there are many other (great) choices, but I've had a few different brands in this category and have always like RF. What would you suggest?
Also can someone answer one of my original questions regarding wiring 6 speakers with the 4-channel amp? Is my theory about parallel wiring and the impedance correct? And will the overall sound suffer / lower?
If you wore them like that you are defeating the purpose of going with a 3 way HU. You don't want two sizes of mid playing the same range. You won't be missing anything in the top end. You will be missing in the 80-100hz range. That's a dedicated midbass range. RF is so underbuild now and the amps are just ok, horrible efficency and American made prices for asian amps.

If you wore them like that you are defeating the purpose of going with a 3 way HU. You don't want two sizes of mid playing the same range.
I agree, but this HU is capable of setting the LPF & HPF for each input so there is no overlap. Also I heard that RF did goto Asia for their products years ago, but of recent years they're built in America again. Is this not true?

Rockford is still Chinesse. There top level sub is comparable to mid level subs from US brands. And more expensive. If you are only running a 4 channel you can't use all the filter options. You need 6 channels and I bet we can find you a 6 channel better than that prs

I wouldn't wire them in parallel, you'd loose control over the Highs and you'd blow the speakers. I recommend using the passive crossovers and run your tweeters off of them, just in case you drop the crossover point too low or your head units gets disconnected for what ever reason. You wouldn't want to loose your tweeters that way.

I'd suggest getting another A900 and running the mids and the rear stage (stock speakers) off of that. Do it right the first time.

Thanks

T

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.