question about switching to 0 gauge wiring

bostonkid92
10+ year member

I currently have 4 gauge wiring which was great but now that I'm getting into more powerful systems, I think I need to step it up to 0 gauge. I started out with a couple Kicker Comps but I've been upgrading ever since. I now have a 12" Kicker Solo X and I'm always looking for new subs so here's my question: Is it good or bad for amp, subs, battery, alternator or anything else to have bigger than required/recommended wiring? For example, if I wanted to use a 2500w amp, that's great but what if I wanted to test out some subs that I had sitting around for a while running to an 800w amp that required 4 gauge wiring? Is it bad to use the 0 gauge wiring to such a small amp or is it better to have more?

Also, if I do end up going down the 0 gauge route, if the wire won't fit into the amp terminals, would the amp still be getting the same power if I put an adapter at the end of the wire so it would fit? (the end that goes to the amp)

Sorry for all the questions and the long post. I just want to do everything the right way and not do something stupid.

bigger is always better, a 0 gauge to 4 gauge adapter will not hurt your system. /thread
AMEN.. go big and you cant go wrong. I've found Cadence 1/0 awg wire to be inexpensive and TRUE in size.. I answered ur post about setting ur gains with a DD-1 earlier.. I don't have any extra 1/0 gauge wire at the moment, but I've got the meter and many other extra's, so if you want some help let me know bro.

yeah, i kind of thought that the bigger the better but before i spend all that money on getting serious with all of that, i thought i'd ask. its way too expensive to make a stupid mistake like that. it's stressful because i'd like to do everything right but it's so much money. i don't want to go overboard but id like to do it once so i never have to upgrade anything else. for example, i'm running 4 gauge right now. if i ran 0 gauge in the first place i wouldn't have to do it twice. idk, i'm very interested in car audio and have learned a lot in the past few months. i started to get serious in about july and before that, i didn't even know about brands like Fi and didn't know what ohms were.... HAHA so stupid. don't hate me now though because I know much more aside from a few questions i asked on here

cool. and should i worry about upgrading anything else like the battery, alternator,etc? i don't want to go overboard, just enough to enjoy any subs i get. i've had btl's, an hcca, the solo x i have now, but i've never kept them in for long since they'd be much too under powered. i'm not looking to do competitions, just enjoy whatever sub i get

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.