Question about sub recone??

Durango03
10+ year member

Enthusiast
Tn
Watched some youtube tutorials as well as a picture by picture tutorial by Snoopdan (sp?). One thing I didnt get is how do you know you have the shims correct? Snoopedan used 3 index cards from walmart but didnt go into any details here. Also it didnt look as if the shims went all the way around.. about half way. Is the idea to basically just have them snug against the wall??

make sure your gaps in the shims are 180degrees apart, so if using 4 shims then 12/3/6/9 o'clock positions would be the gaps.

Unless you're doing a lvl5 or lampshade, then count on 7 shims, so it gets trickier...

doing recone on a vvx-8. This will obviously be more first. I watched another video lastnight where the guy pulled the shims out, lol.. I was under the impression you left them in, as I havent "seen" anyone else remove them in their tutorial. Maybe it suppose to be understood tho, any take on this??

Basically the shim is to align the coil in the gap. So you want the shims to be even throughout. The need to be snug, but not so much that the coil can't be pulled out of the gap. You remove the shims once you have everything glued down and the glue has set up for a little bit to assure nothing can slide around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.