Question about sub and power handling.

AKCoastie
10+ year member

Hawaii
I am wiring up my SD2-12 D4 Dual 4ohm sub to the Audiopipe APSM 1500. I have the sub wired so that it is 2ohms. The sub calls for 500 watts and the amp supposedly puts out 1000 watts at 2ohms. So, is the limit on the sub 500 watts regardless of whether it's 2ohms or 8ohms? Trying to figure out what to input into the calculator so that I can set the gain with the DMM.

Thanks. Also, seems like some online guides say to leave the speakers hooked up when you test the voltage, some say keep them disconnected. What's the general consensus on here?

unhook the sub when setting gains
I have no idea whether leaving sub connected or unhooking it is better (I heard JL Audio manuals recommend to unhook the sub). I do like to mention that it's a good idea to use a test tone no louder than -5dBs. Normal music reaches -5dBs, and those peaks are short-lived. Well recorded music normally reaches only -10dB. Setting gain level with 0dB test tone will just waste the output potential IMO.

I have no idea whether leaving sub connected or unhooking it is better (I heard JL Audio manuals recommend to unhook the sub). I do like to mention that it's a good idea to use a test tone no louder than -5dBs. Normal music reaches -5dBs, and those peaks are short-lived. Well recorded music normally reaches only -10dB. Setting gain level with 0dB test tone will just waste the output potential IMO.
depends on the music he listens to, I rebass my music so I always set tones with 0db.

i also always unhook subs when setting gains

depends on the music he listens to, I rebass my music so I always set tones with 0db.
i also always unhook subs when setting gains
I listen to mainly techno or reggae/island music. Not sure what you mean by rebass. Hoping to finish the install today. Will probably be asking more questions soon because I've never messed with an amp that has bass boost like this one does. I appreciate the help guys.

I listen to mainly techno or reggae/island music. Not sure what you mean by rebass. Hoping to finish the install today. Will probably be asking more questions soon because I've never messed with an amp that has bass boost like this one does. I appreciate the help guys.
dont touch the bass boost, it's useless and only serves to clip the wave. And by rebass I mean I edit my music to increase the bass frequencies to as close to 0db as i can get them without clipping.

dont touch the bass boost, it's useless and only serves to clip the wave. And by rebass I mean I edit my music to increase the bass frequencies to as close to 0db as i can get them without clipping.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.