Question about speaker design.

Participant count
  • Participant list

gibhunter
10+ year member

It seems to me like a couple of years ago the top speakers and subs had plastic or some metal alloy surface. Now I see the trend going back towards fabric/glue etc. with the cheaper speakers getting the plastic or metal alloy surface. Is there a reason this happened? Is it a fad or is the fabric (I presume it's some type of kevlar) simply a stronger and lighter alternative?

these materials are used because of their accoustic characteristics (think about drum skins) as well as weight and strength properties. plastic was used because it made speakers durable which is needed because of the harsh automotive environment. speakers today are coated with treatments that help with durability while not "coloring" the music like plastic can.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.