question about powering multiple amps..

Vorak
10+ year member

WI
if your running say, 3 amps, do you run them all of the same battery in your car or do you have to get another set up to power it? I was just wondering because it seems that running 3 amps from the same battery would drain a lot of power very fast. Im still kinda new to the car audio scene so lend me a hand here...

Vorak

3 Amps is too much for a battery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif you need a back up batt. in the trunk and for the bass amp. youll be safer with a cap. so when those big current sucker low notes hit at very hi volume //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif you know what I mean, it find some juice to drink. some people say that you dont need cap. B/S the oscilloscope proove them wrong.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

well i only have one amp in my car right now, which is powering my subs. I dont plan on getting more then one amp. I am on a tight budget and that would cost quite a bit of cash. I was just curious on how everybody powered 2 or more amps... Thanks.

they use a distribution block so that theres only one power wire running to the battery, and its shared by two seperate power wires at the block(one goes into the sub amp and one goes into the other amp whichever its used for) and depending on your electrical system, ive seen two huge amps run fine off an electrical system(a kicker zr 600 and an rf 800.4). Just my .02

1.) You could run a theoretically a million amps off of one battery. The question is for how long could you run them.

2.) The deciding factor is the current draw of each amp and the power rating of you alternator. Another words does your total current need for the amps out number the amount of amps you alternator can produce to keep the battery charged.

It all depends on your alternator, your amps, and the size of the battery. You wont be able to run three 1000Watt amps on a 100Amp alternator for very long, probably one bass note then you would be out of juice.

Give some more info on you ideas for amps, and your car and we shall see.

lets say i just want to run two amps. one kicker KX200.2 (subs 100x2) and one kicker KX300.4 (components 75x4). Those are not anywhere close to 1000W. could i run those off one battery? I would have to get a new alternator probably but still. what do you think?

Vorak

Yea I wouldnt see why you couldnt run those off one battery. What kinda car you drive? You might not need a new alternator. My new Dodge truck has a factory alternator of 136amps. But that is a lot higher than most vehicles will ever see, most are around 100 amps, I believe, which might just have enough to power both those amps. You can only hook them up and try; if your lights dim then you will need another alternator. Good luck

thanks everybody for all the help. I really appreciate it. A cap would help out too right? store the juice for those bigger bass hits... thanks again

Vorak

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.