question about ported boxes

Participant count
  • Participant list

crzybob77
10+ year member

OK, i know very little about ported boxes, so this may be a stupid question or it may be a smart question, anyways, bear with me. Alright, I have 2 IDQ 12" subs. I currently have them in a sealed box, bu the sealed box is a little bit over the reccommended, but it still works. The box is a sealed mdf box with 1.25 cu ft per sub with seperated chambers. So, my question is, could i turn this box into a ported box? Could i just cut a big hole in it and stick a port tube in it. I am not real sure how all this work. The IDQ site says for 1.25 cu ft ported box, the ported frequency should be 30 hz and it says the port dimensions are 3"IDx14.375". So, does that mean that i could get 2 port tubes of this size and stick one on each side of the box. Remember, it is likee 2 seperate boxes cause the chambers are seperated. Anyways, basically, i just kinda made all this stuff on how to do it off the top of my head cause i dont know much about porting. But, basically, is it possible to turn my sealed box that is 1.25 cu ft per sub and turn it into a ported box according to the ID specs for 1.25 cu ft ported box. If i can, just tell me how to do it, cause it would be nice to turn my sealed box that is too big into a correctly sized ported box. Sorry for the long post. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Yes it can be done, just cut the ports to the specifications on their website and drop them into the sealed enclosures. You shouldnt have much trouble with it. . .

The only advice i can really give is to realise that a sealed enclosure tightens the bass and produces better SQ (with the right size enclosure of course) So if you want strictly SQ, the best thing to do would be to get new enclosures for them. . .

If you port the box, they will be alot more boomier decreasing the SQ, so if its not that big of a deal to you, id say go for it and see how you like it.

thanks for the info!!! I think i will just buy a new box, i had the 1.25 cu ft box from previous subs and thought it would be alright, for the IDQs, well they seem to be lacking something. So, i think i will go with a 1 cu ft or something like that. Anybody know the quality of speakerhole.com mdf sealed boxes??

i have heard mixed reviews about speaker hole. Most of them being, not to count on their customer support anknowledging your existence after you buy from them lol this one cat on another board said his box had a defect and was never able to get back in touch with customer support. . . . but there has been many that has had no problems with them. . .

My personal experience with them they sound better is a sealed enclosure. . . they hit hard and are very accurate subs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif good luck on it. . .lata

dont worry about the first question anymore, i am just gonna get a new sealed box that is more appropriate for the subs. But, here is another question, should i get .88 or 1 cu ft for the IDQs, those are both in the reccomended range, but dont know which is better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.