Question about maximum ported box volume

Participant count
  • Participant list

corysquires

AZ
I have a custom fox acoustics box. Its 2 X 12 ported, with a vent tune frequency of 35 Hz. The box is divided and each side has an air volume of 1.55 feet. This limitation is preventing me from obtaining certain subs I would consider better. so my question is:

What is the maximum port box volume I can use without problems? Would purchasing a sub that has a optimum or max size of 2.0 cubic feet be a bad idea?

or should I find a way to carve out some of the wood in the box to increase cubic feet....

I called the manufacturer of the box and he told me to increase the RMS of my amp by 30%... That dowe not sound like a good idea, would that work or cause damage to the subs?

I called the manufacturer of the box and he told me to increase the RMS of my amp by 30%... That dowe not sound like a good idea, would that work or cause damage to the subs?
as long as your coils can handle the heat. Generally you choose a sub and build a box to suit since different subs require different enclosure volume, port size and tuning. Picking subs based on a box you already have is kinda like painting yourself in a corner.

Yes I agree, however, in this case I am limited as I'm not willing to give up my back seat for subs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ... I purchased a Fox Acoustics 2X12 ported enclosure that fits nicely under my seats. Its frequency is 35Htz and has 1.55 cubic ft per side, MOUNTING DEPTH: 7.25" WITH A 6.5" DIAMETER MAGNET clearence. That's a lot of variables to work around //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

My RE-Audio *** 12-4 subs need more enclosure volume and are not running at their full potential. They sound decent, produce lots of boom, and certainly rattle the entire cab, but not happy with the overall application. Going up for sale...

I am looking at replacing the RE-*** with NVX XQW 12-4 as they seem to be a perfect match for my pre-fab enclosure. A bit overpriced, and not much known about the company, but I have not found a better matched sub in terms of enclosure space, frequency response, sizing, and tuning.

I am looking for SQ as opposed to SPL... If anyone has a better recommendation then the NVX, I am listening...

Thanks

How much power do you have. I'd go with the SSA DCON in a box that size. They work great in small ported boxes, that will actually be a good size for them and decent tuning. SQ should be MUCH better than most subs in a box like that because it'll still have a nice falling response, sort of like a sealed enclosure, but deeper and louder. They are a bit underrated and can handle a bit more power than rated.

The driver you linked looks pretty interesting as well. Without modelling it, it looks like it would be similar to the DCON, but with higher powerhandling. The inclusion of a shorting ring is nice since it's also a 3inch coil. At 250 dollars with a shorting ring and a 3inch coil, it's really not that overpriced. I'd say it's worth at least 200-250 dollars. Plenty of more expensive more known brand names will likely perform worse for that price.

If your really looking more for SQ than SPL the dcon should sound very good and save you quite a bit of money over the NVX. They won't get quite as loud, but they are also half the price almost and will give you 80% of the performance.

How much power do you have. I'd go with the SSA DCON in a box that size. They work great in small ported boxes, that will actually be a good size for them and decent tuning. SQ should be MUCH better than most subs in a box like that because it'll still have a nice falling response, sort of like a sealed enclosure, but deeper and louder. They are a bit underrated and can handle a bit more power than rated.

The driver you linked looks pretty interesting as well. Without modelling it, it looks like it would be similar to the DCON, but with higher powerhandling. The inclusion of a shorting ring is nice since it's also a 3inch coil. At 250 dollars with a shorting ring and a 3inch coil, it's really not that overpriced. I'd say it's worth at least 200-250 dollars. Plenty of more expensive more known brand names will likely perform worse for that price.

If your really looking more for SQ than SPL the dcon should sound very good and save you quite a bit of money over the NVX. They won't get quite as loud, but they are also half the price almost and will give you 80% of the performance in SPL and have very similar SQ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.