Question about an install.

Participant count
  • Participant list

spongerd82

I just got a new 18 Elantra. The speakers are pretty bad but the headunit is quite nice (yet under powered). I would like to add a 4 ch amp and replace the speakers. I know I will need a LOC to get the signal to the amp. However, I also would like to add a powered sub to the setup. Basically, I already have a small 12" powered sub lying around. In the effort to save money, I can't afford another amp/sub combo. My question is, how do I get the signal to the powered sub? Would I tap the wires BEFORE the LOC, or tap AFTER the LOC. The powered sub does have the option of high level in and RCA. I think the best value for my budget is the AudioControl LC7i.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your reply. What exactly about my proposal should I change? Unfortunately, I simply don't have 1000's to spend on top of the line sounding system. However, I know I can get a better sounding system with something after market (I have done full installs in the last 5 cars I've owned, just never kept the factory headunit). I am not trying to enter any contest, I just want something that sounds better than stock. Saving for my kids college > my car stereo. A powered sub is far from the best option, but it's what I have to work with. My budget for 4 speakers (2 front component, 2 rear), a decent 4ch amp, the LC7i, and installation material is around 800.

With that being said, do you have recommendations?

A JL fix. The $200 and something dollar Zapco 5 channel. A alpine type S 12 with a generic but largest possible sealed box. Leave the rear speakers disconnected. A $120 set of JBL 2 way components for the front only.

Spend the rest on sealing, foaming the front doors.

Then later add the JL TwK and ditch the passive crossover. That will make it 10x better.

I see that most audiophiles recommend not using the rear speakers. I am open to this concept.

After your advice, this is what I think will fit my budget and get the most bang for buck.

Front doors: JBL GTO609C 6.5's

JL Fix 86

An amp

For the amp, if I disconnect the rear doors, why should I spend the extra $$ for a 5ch amp? Couldn't a 4ch amp run the fronts (ch1/2) and the sub (bridged on channels 3/4)? However, the powered sub I already have (JBL also) has done me very well in the past. I am very happy with the quality, so I would rather just reuse it and spend $$ elsewhere.

With that being said, would a 4ch amp be adequate? I know I should try to match the rms of the speakers to the rms of the amp (again, if I am wrong, correct me). Can you give me some brand that I should stay away from with amp? I see you recommend Zapco. I have used Rockford for years with no issues, but am open to you guy's professional opinion.

I also have a question about the JL Fix. I see it has software that allows for some adjustment. Will I be able to have at least a basic equalizer (more than the high/mid/low) to adjust the ranges? My stock headunit that needs to stay doesn't have much adjustments.

One last question. There is a factory spot on the rear deck for an 8" sub. Should I even consider it? My intuition says no.

Thanks again for your time. I guess things have changed dramatically since I first began installing stereos.

I see that most audiophiles recommend not using the rear speakers. I am open to this concept.
After your advice, this is what I think will fit my budget and get the most bang for buck.

Front doors: JBL GTO609C 6.5's

JL Fix 86

An amp

For the amp, if I disconnect the rear doors, why should I spend the extra $$ for a 5ch amp? Couldn't a 4ch amp run the fronts (ch1/2) and the sub (bridged on channels 3/4)? However, the powered sub I already have (JBL also) has done me very well in the past. I am very happy with the quality, so I would rather just reuse it and spend $$ elsewhere.

With that being said, would a 4ch amp be adequate? I know I should try to match the rms of the speakers to the rms of the amp (again, if I am wrong, correct me). Can you give me some brand that I should stay away from with amp? I see you recommend Zapco. I have used Rockford for years with no issues, but am open to you guy's professional opinion.

I also have a question about the JL Fix. I see it has software that allows for some adjustment. Will I be able to have at least a basic equalizer (more than the high/mid/low) to adjust the ranges? My stock headunit that needs to stay doesn't have much adjustments.

One last question. There is a factory spot on the rear deck for an 8" sub. Should I even consider it? My intuition says no.

Thanks again for your time. I guess things have changed dramatically since I first began installing stereos.
Later on you will want the extra channels. That will let you run active when you are ready.

Do you understand why no rears are needed?

The fix is VERY basic.

Rockford is a rip off now. Overpriced made in china.

No need for a dedicated mono. Only drives cost up.

Your advice is very helpful, thank you. I understand the theory of deleting the rears, but I will be replacing them. I have passengers quite often and would rather (on a personal basis) have decent sound back there.

On to the next part. Could you give me your opinion on the Polk Audio DB6502, Infinity Kappa 60.11CS, or any other 6.5 component system you recommend? The front will be 6.5 (6.75) components and rear 6.5 2 (or 3) ways. For the entire set, I have $400. Keeping in mind I will be keeping the rear speakers.

Pertaining to the speakers, how important is the RMS? If I get an amp with 100w x 4 @ 4 ohms(plus the 5th ch), do I REALLY need to find 4 ohm speakers with 100w rms? Does higher rms mean better sound (I think not)? I would think quality over power. If so, could you give me a few brands to look at? I am pretty sure Hertz and Focal are budget breakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.