Question about amp racks and RCA's

kendogg
10+ year member

BMW expert
OK, so I want to build a big sealed amp rack with fans setup in a push-pull configuration. Not, I've already figured out how to do the power and speaker/remote wires via quick-disocnnects (big grey breakaway terninals for power and ground, 12-pin molex connector for everything else).

However - RCA's. In my head, I have an idea of having some kind of RCA plug that I could simply plug my RCA's into the side of the amp rack, and then have short jumper-rca's inside the rack going from those plugs, to the amps. Do'able? Are there any pre-made RCA-RCA female connectors out there that will attack to 1/2" mdf and allow me to plug in between the 2? Or would I be better off just getting the connectors themselves, and soldering the rca's inside the amp rack to the connector, then plug the other end into the amp?

Something like these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=091-1120

I'd prefer to not have to solder, and to be able to just plug an RCA into both sides, but if thats not possible, will this work without adding any noise?

BTW, the whole purpose behind this is so that I can quickly yank everything out of the car. My car is a daily driver/track rat, so when it's autox day, track day, etc., I can simply un-plug a few items,a nd go have fun.

BTW, the whole purpose behind this is so that I can quickly yank everything out of the car. My car is a daily driver/track rat, so when it's autox day, track day, etc., I can simply un-plug a few items,a nd go have fun.
you and the thieves think alike.

you and the thieves think alike.
LOL, nice. Not worried about theft though. I have yet to have anythign stolen, so..... I think after 10 years in this hobby, thats a fairly good track record //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If you want it to be light, just get a simple box with a couple subs and mount the amps to it. Then just unplug the amp and take it out when you take it to the track.

I like ur idea. I want to do something similar.

what u need is a "bulkhead connector".

parts express has them. sorry no link. just search their site. If they aren't thick enough for 1/2" then mount them to a plate and mount the plate to your rack.

kent

I like ur idea. I want to do something similar.
what u need is a "bulkhead connector".

parts express has them. sorry no link. just search their site. If they aren't thick enough for 1/2" then mount them to a plate and mount the plate to your rack.

kent

Awesome, these guys right here:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=090-274

And you make a good point. That will allow me to label them as well (F/R/Sub). Thanks!!!

EDIT : While I'm on the topic, any disadvantage to mounting them all to metal (outside is ground, right? Will they short eachother possibly??), or should I stick to ABS??

For those who have done this before, how much fan is necessary?? I was thinking of (6) 120mm PC fans, 3 on each side in a puch-pull configuration, forcing air thru it, ~120 cfm. THoughts??

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.