Purchasing sound system for truck

Participant count
  • Participant list

Derik_1987

Hi guys. Just signed on to the site to get some experienced people opinions. I have personally never owned a sound system for any of my vehicles. I just bought a 2012 Chevy Silverado 4 door last December and have decided I want to get a system put in. The whole works. cdplayer,speakers, Everything. Just wanted to get some opinions on good product. Have about $1200 to spend. Any post will help thank you in advance

What are you trying to accomplish?

Ergo...

Music style...

Daily listening/sound quality or SPL competition...

How much space are you willing to lose to subwoofers...

You gonna do the work or pay someone...

All of those things and more make a difference on what you should buy and what you can buy within that budget.

Well I want it to have a good amount of bass but still want to be able to understand what their saying in the songs. Ive been around some systems that just nothing but bass and I dont like that. I will probably take whatever I purchase to my local audio store for install. I may even purchase from them if they have what you guys say is good.

Well I want it to have a good amount of bass but still want to be able to understand what their saying in the songs. Ive been around some systems that just nothing but bass and I dont like that. I will probably take whatever I purchase to my local audio store for install. I may even purchase from them if they have what you guys say is good.
What kind of sound system did your truck come with? Bose maybe? If so you probably won't need to upgrade your door speakers for now. I think you'd be more than happy at this point with a pair of 8s or maybe a single 10 or 12 so you don't overpower the midrange and highs.

The most important part of your install is the box. If you want more low end output (rap, dubstep, etc) I'd go with a custom made ported enclosure. If you prefer other types of music with tighter bass (kick drums - rock, etc) then I'd recommend a sealed box. Sealed is cheaper, takes up less space, but also won't be as loud.

Yeah my door speakers are bose. My buddy has a 4 door chevy with 2 10" kickers that dont sound too bad. I just dont want to go into my audio store not knowing anything and they take advantage of that

Yeah my door speakers are bose. My buddy has a 4 door chevy with 2 10" kickers that dont sound too bad. I just dont want to go into my audio store not knowing anything and they take advantage of that
Honestly I'd stay away from most mainstream stuff. Not all of it is bad but most of it is overpriced for what it is. Could you get us a list of what brands your shops carries?

DON'T LET THEM SELL YOU ANY OF THESE:

Capacitor

Prefabricated ported box

Anything without looking up the price online... I personally would like to support local shops, but not if they're trying to rip you off and charge double the retail price. If it's only a little higher I recommend that you still buy from the shop

Its really nothing special as far as a audio place. They basically have the mainstream stuff your talking about. Kicker, AudioBahn, Rock Fos, etc. I have had several people tell me to buy everything on Ebay and have them install it as far as being alot cheaper

Its really nothing special as far as a audio place. They basically have the mainstream stuff your talking about. Kicker, AudioBahn, Rock Fos, etc. I have had several people tell me to buy everything on Ebay and have them install it as far as being alot cheaper
I wouldn't buy from ebay, if something goes wrong with the equipment it can be hard to get a warranty honored. Just make sure if you buy something online to get it from an authorized dealer of whatever brand it is that you're buying.

What 10'' subs would you suggest?
Ascendant Audio, Fi, Incriminator, Sundown, Tantric, Digital Designs, DC, the list goes on and on. Depends on if you decide on a ported or sealed box, what kind of music you'll be listening to, etc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.