Pumping sound by moving cone

XxAndreaxX

spain
hi, one quick question, when I move the cone of my sealed sub by hand, I can hear some pumping sound, like fffffff ffffff. is that normal? the sub should be totally sealed, but it might be not, due I can clearly hear some air moving sound during reproducction like bzzzzz bzzzzz, even at 20% of total volume (that's really annoying). I'm not shure if that sound is normal excursion sound, or if there's some air coming out somewhere. tried to seal every possible hole with some vinyl glue, even the contour of the speaker itself, and by hand, I can't distinguish if at the cone region, there's still air coming out, or its the excursion of the cone itself generating air movement.

thanks for the imput.

were the corners of the box sealed up?
the box is not provided of corners due its an one piece fibreglass enclosure. it only has one MDF plate glued on the front, where the speaker is mounted, but I sealed everything around with silicone so there's no air escape. the only air escape I can imagine its at the speaker regon although it would be the first speaker not being auto-sealed when screwed on the MDF...

well ****. There went the easiest possible cause. I would carefully look around the surround and dustcap. It's possible that something came loose or slipped through QC. Although the way you describe the buzzing I would look at the dustcap first (assuming the subs has one).

I have no idea, but I might be able to help. Recently did ductwork at home. Get a punk (like you use to light fireworks or keep mosquitoes away). Light it. Put the sub on or push the sub by hand. Slowly move the punk around the areas where air might escape. As long as theres no other wind you'll be able to find the leak when the smoke is blown away by the escaping air. You might need a second set of hands, but this should work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.