Protective Foam Baffles, will it kill my SQ???

BassAddictJ
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
FL
So my btl creates enough pressure that travels through the side of the car that it enters the inner door cavity and ****s up my IB mounted speakers. I've sealed off my door pretty well so the pressure takes a toll on the cone of the mounted speakers.

I'm planning on squeezing a pair of JL 8w1's in my doors and I'm wodering if these "XTC" foam baffles that are designed to protect, will adversly effect the sound of the driver.

XTC 8" Speaker Baffles Protect your speakers at Crutchfield.com

I'm planning on running my 8's with about 150w at 70hz - 250hz ish....strictly midbass duty....

If the doors are sealed up pretty well, I would imagine that the pressure of the btl is pushing on the cone from the outside. That protective cover would make it harder for the bass to push the cone in. But, it would also act as a very small (weak) sealed enclosure. Given a high Q of the mid I don't think it would matter much if you used it. It really depends of the driver you choose. Something with a high Q would be fine.

If the doors are sealed up pretty well, I would imagine that the pressure of the btl is pushing on the cone from the outside. That protective cover would make it harder for the bass to push the cone in. But, it would also act as a very small (weak) sealed enclosure. Given a high Q of the mid I don't think it would matter much if you used it. It really depends of the driver you choose. Something with a high Q would be fine.
pressure from the cabin side makes more sense

driver is a jl 8w1 4ohm.

some specs here. not seeing the Q

JL Audio 8W1-4 W1 Series 8" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

should I unseal the doors? sounds stupid but having VERY limited space and not really being able to make a studry enclosure for them should I just go IB and allow that pressure to be less intense on the jl cone?

How has your single BTL created such a problem? What exactly is happening that tells you there is a problem?

I cant imagine you are pressurizing your passenger compartment enough that the mids' motors couldn't overcome it easily. If you just mean you see some cone motion when the mids are turned off (burping tones or w/e) then its nothing to worry about at all.

I always recommend against placing mids designed to be mounted Ib into small sealed enclosures. Those rear deck 6x9 boxes you see in the back windows of cars are another example. In those small enclosures, cone excursion decreases dramatically, and LFE suffers.

Concerning the baffle itself: From what I understand, the baffles themselves usually do adversely affect the way the driver sounds. Most people usually cut out the bottom half of the foam baffle, basically turning it into a hood of sorts that protects it from dripping water from the windows, while having little effect on the sound of the speaker.

If you just mean you see some cone motion when the mids are turned off (burping tones or w/e) then its nothing to worry about at all.
exactly...... the blown mid in there now looks as though its near full excursion on many notes when its full tilt. its scarey how much it moves even though there's no power going to it. in there now (blown) are some of hessdawgs OEM 6.5's similar to the ID OEM's. i've blown up about 5 of them so far and they all lasted only about a week or two even with (what i thought was) careful EQing and tuning.

im doing around 145db-146db legal with this sub stage. with the doors sealed up im pretty sure the mids cones are taking alot of pressurized abuse....

now the 8w1's i think are made better for sealed/ported application....i wonder how they'd sound IB?

dude

want to see something cool?

put a sealed box with a sub in your front passenger seat.. not powered up or anything.. crank up your system.. that sub in the front seat will look like its playing.. You don't need to worry cause you can't stop the pressure on the mids..

dude
want to see something cool?

put a sealed box with a sub in your front passenger seat.. not powered up or anything.. crank up your system.. that sub in the front seat will look like its playing.. You don't need to worry cause you can't stop the pressure on the mids..
i know it cant be stopped, but im affriad its damaging my mids. having my doors sealed up will lead to even more pressure on that cone.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.