pros and cons of going ported

My philosophy about enclosures:Sealed- for wimps or people with no room to have a ported enclosure

Ported- What the real men use
LOL! I hear ya.

I loved my vented setups. And they were excellent for getting extra SPL through the backseat from the trunk. But now that I'm getting my subs put in my reardeck, I just don't feel like all that volume is necessary, so I'm having them sealed (wimp IYO,lol).

I'm in no rush to damage my ears. And in certain cases like mine, I feel that ported systems are overkill. Plus, it's just something about the really low notes with sealed boxes that I like over ported/vented systems, IDK.

I think either can sound extremely well if properly designed.

And both can be very loud, although ported would likely be noticably louder...

Ported is a hell of a lot more cost effective than sealed for the same output ... Number one reason why I prefer ported ...
Why is it more cost effective ?

1) Less power needed ... In fact, you theoretically only need 1/4 to 1/2 the power to attain the same output as the same driver in a sealed enclosure ...

2) Less power means less expensive amp(s) and/or higher quality amp(s).

3) Less power needed means less upgrades to the electrical system.

4) Less power needed means one can use a driver with lower power handling capabilities.

5) Drivers with lower power handling typically cost less or are of higher quality for the same price.

6) Drivers with lower power handling often times have greater efficiency, further lowering the power requirement to match the output of a sealed enclosure.

Other benefits ...

7) Using the same driver in both systems (sealed vs. ported) at the same output levels, the ported driver receives significantly less power. Less power in addition to the natural properties of a ported enclosure above tuning means less excursion. Less excursion means less mechanical stress, higher BL, and, thus, lower distortion.

8) Less excursion reduces the chances of driver failure, further saving you money.

9) Ability to tune your system to your desires is much easier with a ported enclosure.

Of course, I seem to be the only one who uses ported enclosures for these reasons //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
Very good reasons to go ported/vented^

But, what if the sub you have, or the sub that your getting doesn't work well ported, and sealed is strongly recommended? A low EBP..

Some low EBP subs will still work well ported (L7/L5s = prime example) ... However, if you're not going to get decent performance out of your driver with a ported enclosure, you just shouldn't go ported ... Of course, if you're planning a system, you could easily just select a driver that would work well ported //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Actually I had a sub in mind when I replied the last time. My subs. My ID Max 10's.

According to WinISD their EBP is 49. I'm curious what you think about that. Because using my Brutus 1500D at full power for a sealed setup will be a lot more strenuous on my electrical system than if I go ported. Because I'm certain I won't be able to handle my subs at full blast from the Brutus ported. Which means like you said, I'll be using less current...

They have a recommended ported enclosure in the manual ....
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/website/tech/data_sheet_max10v3d4.html

I'd go with a larger port than a 3" round port ...

Also, the iDMAX 10D4V.3s have an EBP of 51.65 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
Thanx!

I know they have ported box recommendations. I have the spec sheet that came with them. The only thing I was trippin' on was that they say "sealed enclosure are strongly recommended for most listeners".

Thanx for the EBP too. What progam do you have? I pulled up WinISD Pro Alpha while I was making my post, and it said 49?

Thanx again...

Edit: Also what size port would you recommend for a common chamber box?

Because I think that's how they'll do it.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

I didn't use a program ...
EBP = Fs/Qes

Fs = 20.4 Hz

Qes = .395

EBP = 20.4/0.395

EBP = 51.64557

I didn't see the sealed enclosure strongly recommended thing at the bottom ... If you have the time and money, you could experiment ... If not, just go sealed

sealed seems a little more accurate to my ears,blends with music really nicely

ported has more of a peak where ever you tune it to.

this is all from my past experiences

sq=sealed

ported=LFE

No, tuning under 30 wont magically make your ported box sound good. You DO have a HUGE ass peak down there when mixed with cabin gain, and IMO sounds like crap, not the quality of the bass, but the quantity. Some people here dont seem to understand that huge part of SQ is having a flat frequency response. Sealed does this much better. Ported boxes for pure SQ in car audio is stupid IMO, the point of them is to be efficient, but with that, you have a huge peak nomatter what you tune to. In home audio where you dont have cabin gain, ported is great.

A vented enclosure's port tuning does not have to be mated with the car's transfer function to gain this huge peak. While I agree its generally easier to do it with a sealed enclosure, a ported enclsoure can be made to acheive a very flat in-car response if properly planned with the vehicle's tuning characteristics taken into account.

i just don;t go ported because i have heard that if you turn the gain on your subwoofer really high, the cone will actually rip right out of the surround. but iono, it's just something that i heard and don't ever wanted to happen to my woofers. Maybe the guy had "too" big of a port?

If you play very low notes under tuning, the driver will no longer be controlled by the enclosure - you go past the mechanical limits for the driver. Having an SSF (subsonic filter) in line takes care of that problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.