Proper tuning for CDT EF-61CFi/25 comps

mpbojangles
10+ year member

Akron OH
Just got my CDT comps installed and they sound decent. I think they need a little tuning via the head unit. I know they are passive speakers, but is there anything I can do to calibrate them further? Setting crossover frequencies on the headunit or amp or anything? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike

Just got my CDT comps installed and they sound decent. I think they need a little tuning via the head unit. I know they are passive speakers, but is there anything I can do to calibrate them further? Setting crossover frequencies on the headunit or amp or anything? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
-Mike
what xover do you have? If you hae the 400 xovers,they are crap. I had the same set and with those xovers,the tweets cut out at high volume....try upgrading to the 480's or even better,the 560's and you will tell a big difference and be very happy you did!

I have the 560i crossovers. It just seems like not a lot of sound is coming out of the midwoofers. I have a small feeling that the person who installed the speakers didn't connect the comps to the already installed JL 300/2 and instead used the HU amp. But who would be that stupid, right?

At any rate, if you're in the Akron Ohio area, avoid installs at Century 2000. Very unfriendly and unconcerned with your time and money. Plus the installs seem rather shotty.

Does adjusting HU crossover frequencies have any effect on passive comps?
Definately. The high pass on the HU crossover may be set too high. My ef-63's had awesome midbass in a well damped/sealed door. So you might just need to do some tweaking.

well i would make sure you are using the 300/2 instead of the HU amp first if you are second guessing it. Then i would check your HU's crossover frequencies. You probably want it at 80hz or so and also check the amp(JL300/2) gains.

between me and a buddy we've had like 5 sets of these.

they definitely get loud.

1) make sure they are actually ran off the amp and not the HU. turn everything off, unplug the rcas at the amp, then turn the hu back and and see if the speakers play. if not, you know they are hooked up to the amp.

2) make sure your filter settings are set right. i usually stick with about 80hz for my front stage

3) set your gains using a -3db 1000hz test tone and dmm. if they do shotty installs and are not concerned about the customer i doubt they took any time setting gains properly

Thanks for the reply IgnoreMe. Can you explain what filter settings are? Are they the same as a crossover frequency?

Also, I'm not sure what a -3db 1000hz test tone and dmm are. Can you explain a little more? Thanks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.