Project ThunderCat- Update

zane
10+ year member

Bored.....
As promised previously, I am giving you all an update of the progress on my Cougar restoration. I have just finished a majority of the engine work, with the addition of the following parts.

Moroso High Volume water Pump

Thermodyne Low temp thermostat

Crane 1:7:1 Rockers

Ford Motorsport SVT- Mustang Power Steering

Jacobs Ignition

Accell Plugs

Design Tech Aluminum Pullys and Racer RPM Flex Fan

Custom Ported throttle body

Custom Ported heads (XR-7-modified)

All fuel and Air mixtures have been computer optimized and plotted.

Other than that- A ton of gaskets all over the place.

I am in the process of now installing a high flow 2.5" dual exhaust system from BBE and Edelbrock. As well as a custom cold air intake- with K&N Surround Filter.

On its way within the next week- A Ford Motorsport SVT Mustang 2 suspension all arround. Lowering the front end by 1/2" and the rear by 7/8". Koni adjustable shocks, and a SVT rack and pinion.

I am currently negotiating a 225HP shot of NOS for the car, however, I am not sure that this will happen- as I still have some concerns with the bottom of the engine, and a 225 HP shot- may be a little too much at the moment. More likely, a set of Keith Black forged Pistons and TrickFlow Rods will find thier way inside instead. The NOS may have to wait a while.

I have also just finished Painting the lower quarter on the passenger side of the car, this is only a test coat thus far- as I am having a friend(who knows an exceptional amount about body work) take care of most of the Paint.

Comming up (Near Future)

Rear End seals

Possible JET Computer modification to recalibrate timing as well as engine controls.

Moroso- Chrome Engine Kit- (gotta have it- hey, its gotta look good too!)

Partial Wiring harness Upgrade

Stereo is still in the plans, as indicated by the diagram I posted a few weeks ago.

The Genesis amps are posing a little difficult to get ahold of however, so there may be another deviation from the original plan-I'll still see what I can do, as I believe they are some of the finest amps on the market today.

The Alchemy's are on thier way- should be here fairly soon.

I allready have the enclosure built and carpeted for them, so they allready have a home.

Streetwires will be solely responsible for the wiring- which will be ran at the time the vehicle harness is replaced.

The Morel's, and the Four.1, and hopefully the Genesis' will be ordered arround the end of April. Its a while off- but should be right on schedual with my progess on the car itself.

Well, thats it for now. That, and its bedtime; as have just discovered that sleeping, no matter how inconvenient, is a necessity.

Take it easy,

-enaz

i can't remember, the bottom end stock? if so, i wait or like phatillusion said, go for a smaller shot. man, 125hp will do wonders. once you get the keith's and the forged rods, go for the big daddy!

here's one, see if i can get you guys to help. i just located a old 340 hemi(no ****!) and the guy wants a grand for it. it's stock, runs and had about 100,000 on it when the car it was in was totalled. not for sure about the original car, but he had it in a old satellite( i think he said a notch back 'cuda, but not for sure). anyway, i WANT this for my truck, but the wife has cinched up the purse strings!! PLEASE, PLEASE reply and tell her what a GREAT thing this would be!! i'm working on the price (trying for $750) but the old lady won't budge! ALL HELP (female especially!!!) will be greatly appreciated!

by the way,zane, looking (sounding) sweet! post pics of the progress!! love to see in progress as well as finished!

I'll be putting up a few pics as soon as I finish this role of film. shouldnt take too long considering the way I do things. As for the hemi 340- that would be one heck of an awesome project!!!- The power potential of that engine is amazing!

I would say that for a 100,000 mile engine, that the seller is asking a bit too much.

On the other side of things, you are on your own negotiating with your wife. She probably has good reason to monitor the finances as she is. While this engine is undoubtably a rare find and could pull a premium after it is restored(re-worked), discuss this matter with her and determine if it is practical and feasible.

take it easy,

-zane

what kind of crank did you go with? did you have the matchine shop splay the bottom end so you could put a 4 bold cap on instead of a 2 bolt? I am real interested in hearing about your project, besides car audio the next best thing is car performance.

good luck, and the HEMI block, if you can get it it will have some unreal power. i have actually seen some cars with hemi's tear themselves to pieces

i live by auburn indiana needless to say come spring and early fall "parts" come easy at ebay park. they always auction car stuff off and during acd days (largest classic car auction in the world) you can even find parts for a vector twin turbo lol. everybody gets a tent (maybe considered a booth) and sells parts of every type from old flat head fords to chevy zr 1 engine parts to desoto fenders.

Originally posted by Merlin 331 what kind of crank did you go with? did you have the matchine shop splay the bottom end so you could put a 4 bold cap on instead of a 2 bolt? I am real interested in hearing about your project, besides car audio the next best thing is car performance.

good luck, and the HEMI block, if you can get it it will have some unreal power. i have actually seen some cars with hemi's tear themselves to pieces
I will actually be staying with the standard Ford 302 Crank. I have a few friends that actually run machine shops and we took a good look at everything and determined that it was not necessary. Fords 302 cranks are hardened and heat tempered and according to a majority of the sources I have consulted with, they are about the most durable crank out there. Even the machine shops said that machining a 302 crank should really not be necessary as they do not wear because the metal is so hard. An interesting fact from the shops about this too. They both said that for every 1 Ford 302 crank they machine, the will do 7 Chevy 350 cranks. Basically, chevy cranks are a bit softer and wear takes its toll on them more. This comes right from the machine shop managers too. While admittedly, I am more of a Ford person myself, I still respect and enjoy working on any type of vehicle, and do not play the childish games of which is better. This is just a tidbit I learned that I am passing along.

The crank I have is rated by Ford to handle about 400 Hp as is, however, I have witnessed on many occasion well over 600 Hp abusing this same type of crank with no problem. Even at the local Ford dealer here, I have discussed this at length with the head mechanic (also a fellow performance nut) and he has said that a standard 302 crank will easily hold up with over 1000Hp. The main concern for potential problems would be the connecting rods, as they are not as durable.

Either way, with the standard crank, and if the Keith Black Pistons and Trick Flow rods find thier way inside- I should have no problem with the bottom end of the engine.

That is where my main concern is right now, and what is making me hesitate about adding the NOS. Either way, my power goals are still between 400-450Hp without any type of forced induction. I have accomplished this before on my old Thunderbird, so it should not be a problem here either.

BTW- I have access to a 440 hemi right now if anyone is interested! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

take it easy,

-zane

a hemi 440? i've heard of the 340, 426 and 427 hemi's, and even vaguely remember a smaller (285?) hemi that was the first built. i've heard of 440 magnums, police specials (intrceptors?), and just a 440 big block. i really want to do the 340 because it's different and should fit fairly easily in my truck. i've got the guy down to $650 and all that's left is to get the wife to let me buy it. then i'll be the proud owner of a 340 hemi poweered 2001 dodge ram pickup! way cool!!

sounds sweet. The cast Ford cranks are great, i like cast cranks over forged because they give more than a forged crank, i just don't spin them more than 6000. the 440 hemi is awsome i have only seen 3 in my life time (20 years short but ). if i had something to put it in i might have to take you up on that offer. i am interested in hearing more about your car, i have to report to Ft Benning on March 5th if i pass some medical BS. but keep us informed.

I am hoping to have a few "before" pics loaded by late this afternoon.

Once they are up and on the server, I'll throw the link up here.

take it easy,

-zane

make sure if you plan on getting NOS you dont get the jet chip, the chip advances the timing on the engine and if you use NOS with the chip very bad things happen like explosions the nos web site will tell you more about it.

That would be the fun part.......

As timing needs retarded for NOS, and the chip advances it. I am aware that this would be rather counter-productive.

There are ways arround this though, with an AEM NOS management system, it plugs into your cars ECU and adjusts timing, Air/Fuel ratio, etc. to compensate for the increased boost the NOS provides. With the management system- it basically over rides the chip safely and adjusts the settings for the NOS. When the NOS is off, the AEM reverts back to the chip settings- this way the chip can still be utilized when NOS is not necessary.

Only problem, is one of those AEM NOS management systems is upwards of $650.00.

He he- I think the chip will likely be first.... as it is about $250.00, and will provide adequette boost until I can diagnose the engine and determine approximately how much NOS it could handle.

take it easy,

-zane

Hey now!!!! That was a pretty good movie!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Still , NOS is a lot easier to type as opposed to Nitrous Oxide Systems.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif :D

take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.